Looking for some guidance on configuring PrimoCache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
LawrenceLee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Looking for some guidance on configuring PrimoCache

Post by LawrenceLee »

Jaga, support,

How much L2 cache is too much? With my 500GB MX500 I could dedicate the entire thing to cache my 4TB hard drive. That would give me roughly 20% of the drive's used space. Is that overkill or would that be useful? I am an avid photographer and do some light video work. But it feels like utilizing the whole thing might be less than efficient…

Your thoughts?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Well, you'd want to overprovision the SSD a little anyway (recommended is 10% unallocated space at the end past the existing partitions) for garbage cleanup and drive health. But yes, you could use the remaining space for the RAID drive and see even more improvement.

Chances are good you don't get the entire 500GB anyway like most drives, so you'd probably end up somewhere around 430-440 GB usable for the L2. I personally do try to hit around 15-20% data coverate rate, which may be right where you land.

With the C drive being SSD already, it wouldn't help to move the page file and Temp/Tmp directories to it. Seems like a good use to give it to Primocache and let it breathe even more.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

LawrenceLee wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:53 am I mapped two files; a 64 GB and a 100 GB that are resident on my 4 TB raid as a virtual disks (E: and F: drives). It appears that PrimoCache cashed possibly the entirety of these files as I accessed individual files out of these virtual disks.
PrimoCache is disk-sector-level caching program. It only cache disk sectors that were read. If you see that the entirety of these files are cached, this means that the entirety of these files was read by Windows or other applications.