Optimal Settings for Accelerating Read of HDD

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Optimal Settings for Accelerating Read of HDD

Post by rockz3r »

Have a 240gb kingston sata 3 ssd and 1tb 7200rpm hdd. Made a partition of 65gb to use as cache for the HDD , and using 4gb ram as L1 as well , but i am fine with the ssd speed that is speed of my os and other apps installed there. Just want to make stuff like games on the D partition (HDD) load fast , so for that do i really need L1 cache? Or just L2 cache will get the job done?
I thought of moving games to SSD as at a period i play 2-4 games at max , so , but it would be lots of hassle , moving and removing when i am shifting toa different one.

ALSO , a random question and clearing cache randomly too many times harm the life of the ssd?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Optimal Settings for Accelerating Read of HDD

Post by Support »

Sorry for the late reply because we are on Lunar New Year Holiday.
If you only intend to make loading fast, then I think only L2 cache will also get the job done.
rockz3r wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 pm ALSO , a random question and clearing cache randomly too many times harm the life of the ssd?
Usually it does.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

support wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:53 pm Sorry for the late reply because we are on Lunar New Year Holiday.
If you only intend to make loading fast, then I think only L2 cache will also get the job done.
rockz3r wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 pm ALSO , a random question and clearing cache randomly too many times harm the life of the ssd?
Usually it does.
Whew so my area sometimes have stuff like power outages in that case , it will harm my ssd ,lets say we have like 4-5 crashes a month due to outages , windows messing up , etc . Will that signifcantly affect ssd life? Like will iot atleast last 3 years? or less?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, it's really hard to say if this will significantly affect or not, as this is also related to SSD hardware itself. Usually, if ssd cache space is enough which means few cache content replace (replacing old cache data by new data when cache space is full), 4-5 times of refilling L2 per month shall not be a fatal problem to the ssd life.
Anyway, we are also improving PrimoCache to reduce L2 refilling on crash.