What should be Optimal Settings for Gaming on this Specs?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What should be Optimal Settings for Gaming on this Specs?

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 pm Well, if you stick with 4GB for your L1 cache on D:, games that you regularly load will tend to speed up a -little- more because of that (the most often used parts of them will stay in L1, the rest in the L2). The large L2 will be your primary cache enhancer for things installed to D:. Try it as you have it with both caches on D: (L1 and L2), and see what your hit rate looks like after running a game a few times. Then run another game a few times, etc. Most of it will land in the L2, with a tiny bit staying in the L1.

In your case, I honestly think you can disable the L1 and leave all 16GB for the OS, browser, games, etc (and a tiny bit used by the L2 for overhead). You won't see that much of a difference just for the large game performance with a 4GB L1, and it will probably give more "headroom" for your games to run in RAM if you don't use a L1.
Thanks for replying i disabled L1 completely and my cache hit rate says 94.35% . ALso my L2 settings look fine?
https://ibb.co/PhGTrF2
Also , what to do with block size? Its 16 KB currently , should i switch to 4KB as cluster size of my D: is 4096 bytes?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Looks fine to me. You can switch to 4kb block sizes for Primocache if you want, since you freed up memory by getting rid of the L1. Smaller block sizes incur more memory overhead, but it's largely a non-issue for you now. The 4kb block size is reportedly faster for access, and if that's the block size on your HDD it would probably help overall.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 pm Looks fine to me. You can switch to 4kb block sizes for Primocache if you want, since you freed up memory by getting rid of the L1. Smaller block sizes incur more memory overhead, but it's largely a non-issue for you now. The 4kb block size is reportedly faster for access, and if that's the block size on your HDD it would probably help overall.
Thanks a ton for all the help ,now set the block size to 4kb as my cluster size was 4kb on D: as well . So , finally good to go now :D
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Let us know how it does, and if you feel like your games are snappier.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 am Let us know how it does, and if you feel like your games are snappier.
Will pausing cache work? Coz i m confused how to compare with cache and without xd
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

It should yes. Any blocks on the drive that are changed when the cache is paused should simply be discarded and then re-read into the cache the next time they are requested. But pausing should give a decent baseline comparison. Be sure to run the game several times with the cache on, to ensure it is well populated.
Nick7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Nick7 »

Another thing to keep in mind - L1 uses fixed amount of memory. That memory, if not used for L1 is still used by Windows for filesystem cache.
As Jaga said, in your case I'd also suggest to not use L1, or use only small amount (such as 1GB), and rest is read thru L2.
This will be good enough :)

However, for block size go higher than 4k, ans 4k has high overhead.
Games, most of Windows use, will use reads which are way higher/bigger than 4k.
In my opinion, 32k or 64k should be good enough, you can even go a little higher for your case.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Nick7 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm Another thing to keep in mind - L1 uses fixed amount of memory. That memory, if not used for L1 is still used by Windows for filesystem cache.
As Jaga said, in your case I'd also suggest to not use L1, or use only small amount (such as 1GB), and rest is read thru L2.
This will be good enough :)

However, for block size go higher than 4k, ans 4k has high overhead.
Games, most of Windows use, will use reads which are way higher/bigger than 4k.
In my opinion, 32k or 64k should be good enough, you can even go a little higher for your case.
I see , its just when i was hovering over the cluster size option it said 'for best performance set to block size of drive or less' , so i set 4kb , might change and try :D
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 am Let us know how it does, and if you feel like your games are snappier.
wow my 65 gb cache is full xd , guess i should delete this and make a new 120gb one? anyway , does the game that i stop playing , do their cache get replaced by the ones i play currently? ofc given i have run it few times to be stored in cache.
rockz3r
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rockz3r »

Jaga wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 am It should yes. Any blocks on the drive that are changed when the cache is paused should simply be discarded and then re-read into the cache the next time they are requested. But pausing should give a decent baseline comparison. Be sure to run the game several times with the cache on, to ensure it is well populated.
so i tried doing that and out of the 4 games i tested , 3 had a difference of 20-25 sec to start / load and one game had just 1 sec ~ which i believe was probably because my cache is full and its not being stored in the L2 ? Or should it go in the l2 in place of the old games?