FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
gsinghnynm
Level 1
Level 1

Interest in buying, have a question:

Post by gsinghnynm »

Here is my use case:

Right now my primary OS drive is an m.2 970 Evo
I'm using an m.2 Intel Optane drive for SSD Caching a 6tb HD I'm using for my games
I have 2 other SATA SSD drives connected as well.

My problem is when I enabled the Intel Optane solution it required me to change from AHCI mode to RAID mode for everything apparently, and in doing that I lost the ability to control my other drives thru their own software, (Samsung and both Crucial drives)

If I use Primocache instead of the intel method, can I be able to change everything back to AHCI mode and then still do the caching on my HD with the intel optane?
nrw
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Interest in buying, have a question:

Post by nrw »

For PrimoCache no matter RAID or ACHI (I used it in both modes). But you will have big problem with windows, when change bios from RAID to AHCI. In most cases, it will not boot and no registry corrections will help. Only Windows reinstallation. Of course you can try. When you roll back to ACHI, Windows will boot again.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

nrw is correct. Also note, that there is a small chance of damaging the data on the drive when changing between RAID/AHCI and back again. Make sure you have a good full drive/partition(s) backup before attempting. It doesn't happen often, but depending on the BIOS and the RAID chipset in use, it is possible.

Normally on-board RAID is a separate chipset controlling separate SATA ports. You -may- have some ports which aren't on the RAID controller you could put your other drives on. If not, you could always consider an inexpensive internal JBOD PCIe controller to put those drives on, so that you can keep using RAID in the BIOS for your Optane.
gsinghnynm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gsinghnynm »

Thanks...it was easy switching back to AHCI from RAID:

Click the Start Button and type cmd
Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from BIOS
Save changes and exit and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.