Suggestion on settings

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
uBlast
Level 2
Level 2

Suggestion on settings

Post by uBlast »

Hey guys, how are you doing? I need a suggestion about primocache seetings, the best recommendation based on my hardware scenario:

- Acer Laptop with Pentium 4 Dual 2.2Ghz, 4GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM and Sandisk 120G SSD G27, and Sandisk SD Card Extreme UHS-I Class 10 16GB (L2 cache?)

Thanks in advance! :)
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Suggestion on settings

Post by Jaga »

You already have a SSD as your C: drive, so there's no point in caching it with a L2 on your SD Card (which would be slower than your SSD anyway).

You don't quite have enough RAM to make an effective L1 cache - though that depends on your Operating System and what kind of applications you run. If you're running an older OS like Windows 7, you can reduce it's footprint more than other OSs, and try to take advantage of any OS Invisible Memory in Primocache. More information would be helpful, especially the laptop model and OS version (32-bit vs 64-bit).

The best thing overall you could do is upgrade your RAM to the laptop's maximum, and then keep 4-6 GB of memory for the OS while giving the rest to the L1 RAM cache. It's hard to know what the laptop can handle without knowing which model it was. With the types of hardware it has in it, I'm going to guess it's around 6-7 years old. Again - more info would be great.
uBlast
Level 2
Level 2

Post by uBlast »

Thanks for the reply. My laptop is an AcerAspire 4736z with the maximum for memory already installed (4GB). I use windows 7 home premium x64...

A machine mainly for internet access, downloads, and things like this. No games or heavy softwares. I just though primocache could help overall performance (even with a SSD installed). I know it´s an old laptop, but for now that´s what I have. Any advice on primocache? or not worth to install at all?
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Since it's W7 and 64 bit, you can take advantage of a small OS memory footprint and the full installed RAM, so that's good. Primocache can definitely help a laptop like that.

I'd bump up your pagefile to at least 8192 MB and make it static (don't let Windows manage it's size). Then you can take about 1.5 GB of RAM and put it to Primocache, see how it runs. 2.5 GB free with a decent pagefile should be enough for W7 to run in happily. Set the L1 Cache Task in Primo to Read & Write strategy, but leave deferred writes off. Set the L1 to preload at boot time.

Then when it's all set up, reboot the machine and let it sit until it's idle (all disk activity normalized) at least twice. That'll populate the L1 with the boot files and get you going. You can then monitor memory and see if the L1 is too big and needs to be reduced at all.