Problem with prefetch v3.0.2

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

Problem with prefetch v3.0.2

Post by npelov »

Hi,

I have problem with prefetch. Sometime ago I requested that prefetch of the same physical drive don't happen on the same time to speed it up. In 3.0.2 that's not only not fixed, but it got worse. I have 2 partitions cached C: and E: of the same hard disk. C: is set to start prefetch at windows boot and e: is not (should start delayed), but they still start at the same time. It takes ages to complete and the result is slowed down computer.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Problem with prefetch v3.0.2

Post by Support »

Hi npelov,

Please see
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4480
npelov
Level 5
Level 5

Post by npelov »

ok, but what about the option to not fetch from more than one partition of a specific physical drive at a time?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Prefetching within a cache task is done one by one, while prefetching among different cache tasks is done simultaneously. I'm sorry that so far it's not easy to change this behavior in programming. We may work it out later.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

support wrote:Prefetching within a cache task is done one by one, while prefetching among different cache tasks is done simultaneously. I'm sorry that so far it's not easy to change this behavior in programming. We may work it out later.
This.

If you want to work around the problem for now, create different cache tasks and assign each to different logical volumes on the same physical disk. I haven't done it myself before, but it should be possible. It should treat the different cache tasks as separate prefetch tasks.