Caching of a Windows Software Raid

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
SiriusBlack
Level 1
Level 1

Caching of a Windows Software Raid

Post by SiriusBlack »

Hi,

i'm using windows software raid feature (dynamic discs / RAID-1 / Mirror)
& i recently tried to use primocache in order to setup a ssd cache for it.
The Problem here is that when trying to setup the cache, Primocache won't show the Logical Drive - only both Phyisical Drives.

As windows balances read io between both phyiscal drives, it's no option to add only one to the cache also adding both to the cache seems to be quite inefficient as there will be a lot of redundant data cached...

Thanks!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Caching of a Windows Software Raid

Post by Support »

PrimoCache is caching based on logical drives. I think you might do something wrong when creating a cache task. For your reference, below is the help link.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... cache.html
If you still have the problem, you may upload the screenshot of the problem for our reference.
Thanks.
NeuralEngineer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeuralEngineer »

I have the same (possible) problem. I'm using Windows Server 2019. I use windows software raid (dynamic disk, raid-1 mirror). But when I select volumes, both drive in the mirror show up separately. The answer by support doesn't seem correct. I think you should try to reproduce this. Should I select both drives or just one, or are dynamic disks not really supported by primocache?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

PrimoCache shows logical volumes in a way as "Disk - Volumes". For dynamic disks, whether you choose one or both drive letters of them, the results are same. PrimoCache always add whole dynamic volumes to a cache task.
In future version, to avoid this confusion, we will automatically tick other drive letters of a dynamic volume if one drive letter of it is ticked.
Thanks.