Caching strategy

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Caching strategy

Post by BonzaiDuck »

I've always been cautious about using the deferred write feature, and wasn't using it when I had the hiccups due to simultaneous L1 and L2 for the same source disk. But I've tested my hardware now so thoroughly that I may switch it on here or there to sample the benefits.

This system -- a Skylake 6700K and Z170 chipset -- has been a set of deliberate experiments. Most have proven successful, and define the ongoing configuration. So -- no -- I don't cache media disks holding video or DVR captures, photos and other things. But there are enough resources that I can extend caching further beyond the second drive that holds additional "Program Files" folders with software installations, games and simulators with extensive scenery files.

I might have chosen initially to use separate physical disks in a hot-swap arrangement for the dual-boot configuration. It all literally evolved from a point where I wanted to start with Win 7, converted to GPT partitions, and tweaked extensively some BIOS settings so that everything works properly. I decided to split every disk down the middle into two Os-specific volumes on each. Keep in mind that managing something like this requires thoughtfully deployed software that does certain things well. For instance, Macrium Reflect Workstation backs up the entire set of Win 7 and Win 10 volumes so that restoration is always assured to continue perfect function from the initial boot menu. I've started shrinking the Win 7 partitions and expanding the Win 10's -- carefully managing the files on the "shared disk" we've discussed.

The biggest hassle arose at the time of Build 1703 creators update. Never lost anything, never had to reinstall either OS, but Macrium was a lifesaver with restorations until I got it all ironed out. I emerged from that episode thumping my chest, as some of our Primo colleagues had some terrible time with just single-OS systems. I didn't even need the patch developed for their problems dovetailing my own symptoms.

So the next Win 10 update could again pose a problem -- I don't know for sure. However, I've made some discoveries and verified that I will almost be ready to dump Windows Media Center entirely, so I'm thinking I could simply drop the Win 7 installation. I've already shrunk the Win 7 boot-system volume to 120GB, leaving the remainder of my main NVME to Windows 10.

Some will say I'm "wasting" storage. Wrong -- I'm "experimenting" with storage. We used to be so parsimonious with our storage-device outlays, and I've changed my attitude: it isn't so much a problem of too many disks, but of too few ports. Adding NVME actually complicates that issue slightly; things have to be managed neatly. So the system has a 1TB NVME for boot-systems; a 250GB NVME for SSD-cache; a 2TB SATA SSD as "second disk;" a 2TB HDD for media; and a 2TB HDD for Macrium Backup.
BonzaiDuck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Caching strategy

Post by BonzaiDuck »

InquiringMind:

Per your response/observation about combined L1/L2 caching of a single device: Here's another thread in which I'd made note of troubles that involve Macrium Reflect backup:
http://www.romexsoftware.com/bbs2/en-u ... =33&t=4453