Freeze problems when using primocache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Freeze problems when using primocache

Post by Support »

You may just run the installer for 2.4.0 and restart the computer after installation.
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotterdammerungly »

Had a very major system malfunction last night. Almost trashed this PC. I had changed the buffer size in Primocache 2.4.0, then I rebooted, and Windows never reappeared...never got to the log in screen. I spent several hours last night trying to get it to work, and have spent all day now in Safe Mode repairing (or trying to) system files, and eventually I got one of the Windows system tools to fix something, and it is finally rebooting and running again, although SFC says it finds corrupted files that cannot be fixed, and I have tried DISM, but that fails at about 96%. However, the thing works again.
I don't know if this was due to PC 2.4.0, but the machine had been working perfectly all week with 2.2.0, and within two days of re-upgrading to 2.4.0 horrible things happened...maybe just a coincidence, but I have reinstalled 2.2.0 and I don't now have the confidence to try either 2.3.0 or 2.4.0, as they seem to want to destroy my laptop!
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I doubt it is PrimoCache itself causing the trouble. It's possible it is a combination of PC and a driver or utility program, or some Windows setting. I recall with my old Asus P6T motherboard I had some Intel chipset issues I had to troubleshoot for weeks, and finally targeted the Intel driver utility software as the culprit. After uninstalling it and leaving just the driver installed, the machine was fine. I reported it to Romex here and everything was golden from then on.

Have you made sure your power profile doesn't power-down the USB hub(s) on the laptop, or put them into a low-power state? Is the USB 3.0 drive the only part that gives you problems? (i.e. does the laptop work/boot okay without that attached?) Maybe try turning on slow (thorough) memory checking on the boot process, to give the USB-attached devices time to connect properly.

I'm running 2.4.0 and have had no problems, even with the Win10 Anniversary edition upgrade installed. It did remove the drives from the cache task for that upgrade, but I'm not surprised and they were easily re-added. I'm not running with a USB drive cached though, so that may end up being the real issue. I'd turn off any power-saving settings on it, and even make sure the Windows "Enable Write Caching on the device" is disabled for good measure.
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

Sadly, with software that can wreck your PC, such as Primocache, one needs to have a lot of confidence in it to use it, and I have unfortunately now lost that in any version above 2.2.0. I have been using Primocache for nearly three years on three machines with no significant issues, until now. All of my USB sockets/hubs have power-saving turned off, and it is definitely nothing to do with that. And yes, I tried removing it, and everything else from the laptop, which was royally screwed, no doubt about it, and thankfully, due to my perseverance and extensive expertise in fixing sick PCs I was able, in a mere ten or so hours, to get it to boot normally again!! The USB drive gives me no problems. It works perfectly on all the machines, except, it seems, when it is being used by Primocache 2.3.0 or 2.4.0 - although it worked fine (and still does) with 2.2.0, with which version I think I shall stick.
I can only report my experiences. I am drawing no conclusions. You are probably right that it is not the fault of Primocache....but the Sandisk drive was the last thing blinking away when Windows failed to boot, and it is a drive exclusively used by Primocache.
I apologise if I seem a little 'tetchy'. This laptop has a very slow HDD, and endlessly rebooting it, then waiting for ten minutes just to make sure it has failed again, over and over (in order to trigger Win10's diagnostics and entry to Safe Mode) is NOT my idea of fun.......... :(
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@gotterdammerungly, I'm really sorry for the trouble caused! :( It's quite strange that the change of cache size made computer unbootable. We compared the codes between 2.2.0 and 2.4.0, but still cannot draw a conclusion. Before we're sure about the root cause, I think you may just stick with version 2.2.0 since it works well on your computer.

BTW, PrimoCache is designed to be disabled in the safe-boot mode. Usually, when you encounter the problem, you can just uninstall PrimoCache if you can enter the safe-boot mode, and then see if Windows works in the normal boot mode.

Again, sorry for wasting your time on fixing the boot problem!
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, I was tired and in a bad mood the other day!
It's okay, one has to expect this with PCs. Life would be so boring if they didn't go wrong all the time. I have re-installed W10 over the top of itself and the system seems back to normal again, working very happily with version 2.2.0, and yes, I think I shall stick with it. On the plus side, I have learned a lot about how to fix Windows 10 problems - all worthwhile experience.
I am almost completely convinced that these issues have not been the fault of Primocache, just unfortunate coincidences, and it's a pity I can't trust the latest version because I like the features that you have added. I almost certainly shall try 2.4.0 again, and if there are any further issues I will let you know. I don't think there's anything wrong with Primocache - it is much more likely to be either a hardware issue with this laptop or Windows corruption...which hopefully has been cured by the re-installation. Everything is working very smoothly right now, and I think I will leave it alone...
I thank support and everyone who has responded with suggestions.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, we're still evaluating the code changes on handling USB drives between ver 2.4 and ver 2.2. I'll keep you updated if we have any new findings on these usb problems.
I appreciate your kind testing and feedback!
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

One thing that was very apparent during the day or so I was not using Primocache was how horribly slow this laptop is without it! I can't actually imagine using a PC without Primocache now, it has become something I consider almost essential. I also have more faith in Romex's programming abilities than I do those of Microsoft, so I am seriously inclined to think that Primocache is doing nothing wrong. Please don't expend too much time or effort on this, as I feel it is probably a specific combination of issues unique to this machine that has caused the problem. I think the 're-install' of Windows 10 has done a lot of good, and everything is fast and smooth in typical Primocache fashion.
When I re-upgrade to 2.4.0 I will post again with my findings, good or bad. I expect everything will be fine.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

:) Thank you very much!
gotterdammerungly
Level 4
Level 4

Just a quick update. Am now using 2.4.0, and have been for about a week - no problems. I think the issue was a 'phantom' one. Re-installing Windows 10 was a good idea, and I would recommend it to anyone whose machine has been 'upgraded' to Windows 10 from a previous Windows version. Thanks to support.