FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Interruptions while playing

Post by anbu »

Hallo,

my OS is Windows 10.

If a game is in full screen mode, there are interruptions while playing. This is noticeable through breaks and heavy disk activity. My hardwaremonitor from the SDD also indicates this. Massive read / write accesses take place. That only happens when the cache becomes full.
I have tried all possible settings for my cache and get the same result every time.
Without cache or if i stop the cache, there are no problems. :?
Perhaps the next version could be get a feature like "Stop caching, if window is in fullscreen"...
Attachments
13-02-2016 20-14-13.jpg
13-02-2016 20-14-13.jpg (122.27 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Interruptions while playing

Post by Support »

What do you mean by " interruptions"? Lag? or quit the full screen mode?
That only happens when the cache becomes full
Does it mean the level-1 cache or level-2 cache?
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

The Level-2-Cache.
The screen is frozen for a few seconds and the SDD (cache) works very actively.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thank you for the information! We'll check it.

BTW, what's the brand and model of your SSD device for level-2 cache?
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Its from SanDisk, model SDSA 6GM-016G-1006 (16GB).

Perhaps as background good to know:
My game starts on the first display. My hardware monitor is on the second display. At the time of the problem i can see on my second display, that my SSD is under heavy attack by I/O processes. Mysterious, only when the L2-cache nearly gets full. If i renew the cache (example: change the blocksize) there are no problems, till the cache runs full. You can see the example (almost full L2-Cache) on my screenshot.

In this context, I realized something else. A reboot or shutdown (from Windows) takes a long time, just as long as the cache is nearly full. The normal start (power - BIOS--> Windows) goes without problems.
A coincidence?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Is it possible to re-create the L2 storage (delete ssd volume in Wndows Disk Management, and then create a new volume again) and then set L2 cache size to 14GB? I suspect that when this SSD is full, the read/write speed of the ssd will get bad.
insertrealname
Level 3
Level 3

Post by insertrealname »

Keeping 10% unallocated space on *any* size of SSD is always a good idea since it gives the SSD's firmware room enough to move internal data around efficiently.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Thank you. I had this idea already. I took only half the total size. Unfortunately, the same result.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Is it possible to re-create the L2 storage (delete ssd volume in Wndows Disk Management, and then create a new volume again) and then set L2 cache size to 14GB? I suspect that when this SSD is full, the read/write speed of the ssd will get bad.
Ok, i will try it again for optimum test results (to be quite sure ;) )....
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Now my test results:
First of all it was all ok. But when the cache gets fully, i see the problem again. I can reproduce this with any settings from PrimoCache.
My PC has no special settings. It happens also with a freshly installed version of Windows.
There may be a conflict with a driver or something similar on my PC. I will not exclude it. But how can i determine it more precisely?