Interruptions while playing

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Interruptions while playing

Post by Support »

Is there any other SSD device you can try? I'm afraid that the problem might be related to the SSD device. We're also checking our program code. But I'm sorry that so far we have no idea about this problem.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Unfortunately, no.

But I have a second PC. There is a similar problem with a USB flash drive (USB 3.0, 32 GB) as cache.
If the cache is full (and only then), it comes to interruptions with working with MS Office Word (but not every time). Unplugged the USB-Stick. The problems are gone.... Very strange. :shock:

Thanks for the help. I know that is not easy to solve.

Still a great praise. Otherwise, the software runs without any problems and the PC is very fast as a result. 8-)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Well, thanks for the information! We'll study to check if we can make some improvements when L2 cache is full.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Hallo again,

I have now resolved one of my two problems.

Windows 10 (64 bit); OS on Partition C: and Swap on Partition S:.
Cache on SSD Sandisk 16GB

I had very many lags when the cache was filled. Partly, the hard disk (and the drive with the cache) was heavy busy only with itself. I could see it by the flickering lights (HDD) on my desktop and also with a Software-Display-Tool for physical drives.
Then, i have an extra partition (S :) for my paging file (System-managed) created. Now it runs without problems.
I will test it also on a second PC (here with an identical problem).
I think, it depends on the full cache and also with the paging file on the hard drive (c :) together, which has the cache. For a short answer. Place the Swap not on the same partition from the OS. Strange, but it works (at the moment).

Unfortunately i could not solve the other (my second) problem:
When the PC shutdown or restarted, it took many minutes (before he turned off and on again) and only in combination with the 2nd cache.
So, what passes with the cache between shutdown and restart? I could not find more details in the event manager from Windows.
It would be nice, if i had a chance to log the cache-details (timestamp, start, stop, restart, read, write etc.). So we could have the chance to find the issue.

Kind regards
anbu
Violator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Violator »

Did I read this correct: 3GB of 12GB free?
If so it is no wonder that you have issues, neither do I understand what you try to archive by caching your system drive with .. ?! deferred write caching.
FalkH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FalkH »

Old topic, but since there is still no answer I just write my thoughts here, maybe it's still helpful.

With my first setting I also had some strange problems without L2 running full. That time I couldn't even play an video on steam without stutter.
As far as I remember stuttering was gone when I paused the cache or at least the defer write function.

Later, I changed my whole setup. Moved the ssd to a second controller and also changed the cache settings. I never had this problem again, but I can not say which change solved it.
I could imagine the gathering for the L2 cache might get in conflict with something like video streaming. I would try this first, maybe set to Idle or 250.

For your 2nd problem, settings I would expect to interfere with reboots:
- prefetch
- flush on sleep
- release on sleep

You can try to monitor the windows boot up process.
Create one log when your system works normal and another while the problem occurs, than compare both.
anbu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by anbu »

Hello again,

with the new version 2.6.0. Have now less problems.! :D

Only the reboot still makes problems and only in connection with L2. It takes a long time for the PC to shut down (or restart).
Shortly before switching off (where I would, without cache, actually expect a restart or switch off), there is still a large disk activity.

Regards
anbu
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@anbu, thank you for the feedback!