Very important Q about Level-2 Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
tekken
Level 4
Level 4

Very important Q about Level-2 Cache

Post by tekken »

Example: I will create L1cache=8GB and L2cache = 40GB with settings by default for HDD1. So, data will be write to L2, only when Windows Idle.

Question1: If my windows will be busy long time and will be read alot of data from HDD1 (>300GB) at that time. How many data will be write to L2, when Windows will be Idle? And what data will be store in L2 after that?
Question2: L2cache is store all data from L1cache (dublicate) when windows idle?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Very important Q about Level-2 Cache

Post by Support »

tekken wrote:Question1: If my windows will be busy long time and will be read alot of data from HDD1 (>300GB) at that time. How many data will be write to L2, when Windows will be Idle? And what data will be store in L2 after that?
Good question! If these 300GB data are located in different disk address, PrimoCache may write 300GB data to level-2 cache (I think we will improve it by avoiding unnecessary writing to L2 because finally only 40GB in L2). The final data stored in the L2 are kind of uncertainty. It depends on the disk address where the source data is located and where PrimoCache starts to writing to L2.
tekken wrote:Question2: L2cache is store all data from L1cache (dublicate) when windows idle?
It depends. Actually L2 cache is independent of L1 cache. When populating data to L2 cache, if data is already in L1, PrimoCache copies data from L1 to L2. Otherwise it copies data from source disk to L2.