Primocach uses almost 2x of RAM for level 1 cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
davidst95
Level 3
Level 3

Primocach uses almost 2x of RAM for level 1 cache

Post by davidst95 »

Hi, I have 16gb of ram and allocated 2 gigs for level 1 caching of my SSD drive. It's set for 16k block size and 30 second for write defer mode. In task manager it says Primocache is using 3-4 gb of Ram. Do you know what could be causing this? Thanks.

David
GunnzAkimbo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Primocach uses almost 2x of RAM for level 1 cache

Post by GunnzAkimbo »

Depends how many drives are cached. It will tell you as the "overhead" usage.
2 Gigs of cache then another 1.5 ish for overhead using 16k block size.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

L1 cache overhead shouldn't be that high (I get 52MB overhead for a 7GB L1 cache with 64KB block size, setting that to 16KB would increase overhead to 210MB). It might be worth double-checking Task Manager's figures using either Process Explorer or Process Hacker - in particular confirm that you are seeing current, rather than peak, memory usage.

Also try experimenting with block size, though 16KB seems right for 2GB. If you have been experimenting with larger cache sizes, a system restart might help "free up" memory allocated for those by Primo Cache.
Last edited by InquiringMind on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

Hum - something isn't right. When the GUI is NOT active task manager only shows the amount of memory being used by the service which is typically quite small. The GUI process is also small. A previous poster suggested rebooting; bet that will solve your problem.