Fusion ioXtreme as cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
marcus556
Level 2
Level 2

Fusion ioXtreme as cache

Post by marcus556 »

I am wanting to use my Fusion ioXtreme as cache for my RAID 5 array. I would like to use it and only it not memory as well is this possible? If not then how would i go about setting up either or?

Thanks!

Marcus
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fusion ioXtreme as cache

Post by CrypEd »

I would like to use it and only it not memory as well is this possible?
Please try again in english and with punctuations (thinks like . and,) because i have no clue what that means.

... why should any drive not work just because it's connected through PCIe. As long as it is AHCI compliant, it should work. If your Raid is made of a real seperated dedicated hardware controller (not just some motherboard firmware-chip)... ya rockz ^^
minhgi
Level 10
Level 10

Post by minhgi »

Set the L1 cache to 0 for now. Hopefully that option will be implemented in future version.
marcus556
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marcus556 »

I dont need the smart ass remarks if you cant help dont respond. I sent that from a phone in class and didnt pay that much attention to it and i think you meant things like "." and ","

Thanks to the other user I will try that out.
marcus556
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marcus556 »

minhgi wrote:Set the L1 cache to 0 for now. Hopefully that option will be implemented in future version.
Tried this and when i try to format the ioXtreme it says, "Failed to format this volume to a level-2 storage!". Guess its not gonna work with the ioXtreme :|

Any idea why or an alternative to this to be able to use it as cache?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

marcus556
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marcus556 »

Thanks for the response! I tried this and it said the drive didnt support it... I reached out to Fusion Io for support on caching software. They have a software but its like $4k. Way out of my budget as a home user. He took my e-mail and is gonna try and find out if there is anything out there a little cheaper 3rd party. I dont know why but the card seems to be treated very different then standard storage.

Ok i was able to get it converted but the same message comes up. Not sure why can quite figure it out... Any other Suggestions? I also noticed that no matter what i do i can not get the convert to GPT Disk option to pop up. I have done a low level format with the Fusion io management software and the initialized it in disk management as a MBR, but still with no success formatting in PrimoCache.

I finally got it to work it is caching but i dont see any benefits. Correct me if i am wrong and i think i am wrong, but i should see performance increase on just about everything right? I am testing by copying a large BluRay Movie from one drive to the other and i am seeing very minimal increases if any. W/o cache i get aroud 100MB/s and with i get about 120MB/s but thats in burst speeds not avg. Something i am doing wrong?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

marcus556 wrote:...Correct me if i am wrong and i think i am wrong, but i should see performance increase on just about everything right?...
No, caches only boost performance on second (and subsequent) read/writes of the same data. And Windows uses spare RAM as a file cache so Primo Cache can only come into play once Windows' own cache is full, or for files that have caching disabled.

A quick benchmark like Crystal Diskmark should let you know if the cache is working or not (it gives "best case" results, which are far in advance of real-world use). Small file read/writes (where the seek time/rotational delay of mechanical HDDs has the greatest effect) should see the biggest improvement.