Question about TRIM support

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
webguyz
Level 2
Level 2

Question about TRIM support

Post by webguyz »

Using Primocache 0.9.9 with great results with a 16gb L1 and 250GB SSD L2. I do not use Deferred Write as I am using this pc as a SAN with MS ISCSI Target software. Will the TRIM support detect when my SSD starts getting worn out? How would I know that the SSD is close to needing to be replaced? Will I see a large increase in Trimmed Blocks in the report section of the stats? Using Crucial M500 SSD and didn't know if there was a windows utility that monitored SSD life.

Any clue when PrimoCache will finaly be released?

Thanks!
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Question about TRIM support

Post by CrypEd »

Will the TRIM support detect when my SSD starts getting worn out
Thats not it's function.
How would I know that the SSD is close to needing to be replaced?
Same like you now when your HDD needs to be replaced: Errors, malfunctions related to the drive, in doubt report to vendors' support!
Will I see a large increase in Trimmed Blocks in the report section of the stats
How, not using defer-write or write-cache at all ? ... what you expect it to do TRIM-commands on? Reads? :lol:
The hole additional TRIM-benefit increasing lifetime using PrimoCache on SSD is gathered through "defer-write".
Whatever windows still does TRIM the writes onto your SSD, if you enabled it,...so what are you asking for?
Using Crucial M500 SSD and didn't know if there was a windows utility that monitored SSD life
And why you ask us? Are we from crucial? Ask your vendor to supply a "health-bar-gadget", "monitor-software", proper SMART whatsoever. :roll:
Any clue when PrimoCache will finaly be released?
1. clue: in the future
2. clue: next release (whatever new beta or final) within 23 days (info from actual license)

BTW: If you have a clue about how to measure "the lifetime" of a SSD which contains of hundrets small parts and electrical components and masses amount of flash-cells... within a "barometer" ... just let the vendors now. :D :D :D On the other hand, CrystalDIskInfo is a vendor-free tool that shows you how much of terabytes your SSD has written or read during it's lifetime.... but consider it worthless... because it doesn't matter when the SATA-Power or Data plug is so cheap that it internally breaks after ~100 plug-inss ... just for example :D You referr to wear-leveling and the theoretical lifetime of a SSD... but honestly with write-cycles should serve you... you can grow old and die before any SSD breaks xD

I wrote 8,18 Terabytes of data to my SSD during it lifetime (4 years now) and read 15,75 Terabytes of data during the same time. The reads are pretty irrelevant to lifetime. The SSD has a size of 120gb... so it has written 70 times of it's own size.... yeah maybe some cells have lasted 100 or even 200 writes in particular... but still thousands left! And IF thats'going to be a problem nd bad-cells showing up, the drives-internal firmware..picks them out and replaces them with cells from an unused-contingent.. SO what do you whant more..... 100% health bar roflmao???

That writes are absolutely NOTHING, if you consider that cells lasts up to tens of thousands of write-cycles and if you consider that the device has managable space to swap-in/out blocks from an reserve during wear-levelling.... it is even more NOTHING. More likely the drive will find a death on another chemical-component on it's board or death though bad plugs!
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Question about TRIM support

Post by CrypEd »

WIth CrystalDiskInfo you can read out this relevant SMART values for example:

SSD Wear Range Delta = Delta between most-worn and least-worn Flash blocks.
SSD life left = is based on actual usage and takes into account PE cycle consumption (life curve status) and Flash block retirement
SSD life-curve = A life curve used to help predict life in terms of the endurance based on the number of writes to flash.

The problem is... you have to ask crucial to make 100% what the values really mean... because SMART is not a "ruled" standard...every vendor can do as he pleases calculating such values!

i.e: Sandforce:
https://code.google.com/p/hddguardian/w ... attributes

i.e: Kingston:
http://media.kingston.com/support/downl ... ribute.pdf

Search yourself for Crucial and their software tools!