Crash Wiped my cache!?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
BirdofPrey
Level 1
Level 1

Crash Wiped my cache!?

Post by BirdofPrey »

I am currently running an SSD caching a HDD. My cache was almost full having only about a dozen GB free left then I had a nasty freeze and had to power cycle and restart my machine; now it has almost all of its capacity listed as free. What gives, being that an SSD is non-volatile storage the data should not have gone anywhere so why is the cache not showing as having contents and why is it no longer speeding up access?

Given that it seemed to take several days to get it to start working properly (first of all you have to access stuff so it knows what to cache, but beyond that it doesn't seem to like to build the cache any time except a fresh restart with absolutely nothing running. Apparently not using my computer because I am at work or in bed does not count as idle), is there a way to recover the data on the cache and keep using it (or has it been wiped to be replaced), and is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future (it has already happened before when the power company cut my power the day AFTER they said they would to change a transformer, but the cache wasn't that built up by that point).

Currently running Windows 8.1 Pro
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Crash Wiped my cache!?

Post by Support »

Any unepxected restart will cause PrimoCache reset the cache content. This is by design to prevent the possible "out of sync" issue. Because on unexpected power off, L2 content may not be updated correctly and cause some unknown errors.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

If this is going to be normal behavior, I would suggest a different process for validating the L2 cache other than completely wiping it (since it can take hours or days to refill itself). Flag files in the cache as "dirty" and do a consistency check on them, flagging them as clean when they pass, or deleting them if they do not.

I get irregular shutdowns and/or restarts too that have nothing to do with my L2 cache, and it's a real pain to wait for it to completely refill it's contents. A consistency check would be far quicker, and could happen entirely in the background.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

Does not help.

Continsistency checks do not measure if critical data is out-dated "out of sync".
... and last but not least, cache does not work with "files"...only "blocks", there's no way to check files at all, not in the background or foreground or anywhere else xD

You should stop your mashine from irregular shutdowns... if these are not related to Primo at all, Romex is not even in a position to stop your pain.