Will L2 survive file system disk check?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

Will L2 survive file system disk check?

Post by Tomal »

Hi,

I'm planning to run filesystem error-checking on my system hard drive. In order to do that, Windows (Vista 64bits in my case) will reboot the system, and do the file system check and fix it before the system is booted back. Which means PrimoCache will most likely not be aware of the low-level changes that Windows did to the file system. Can PrimoCache handle this? If yes, I'm wondering how is this resolved. Will it just automatically clear all the data in L2? Or will it somehow adjust to the changes made by Windows?

Thanks.
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Will L2 survive file system disk check?

Post by Tomal »

Ok, so to answer my own question, PrimoCache will NOT survive system disk check. I just did it and during the filesystem check Windows made some changes to the file system - most notably "compacted security descriptors" whatever that means. Upon reboot, I started getting lots of pop-ups saying that various files were corrupted. Most notably, I saw many error messages pertaining to C:/@security directory, which is where Windows stores its security descriptors. Hence the culprit that it was PrimoCache fault - it was probably serving wrong data from the cache that wasn't aware of the changes made to security descriptors by the system check. I quickly disabled PrimoCache and rebooted my computer again. So far, all the errors are gone (it's been 30 minutes so far).

Pity nobody answered my question earlier. It's pretty dangerous situation. I will need to use my computer for a few days to assure that the problem is gone now, but this all could have been avoided if someone answered my question and told us that PrimoCache has to be disabled to do filesystem check.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm really sorry for the trouble caused! :(

I do remember that we did the testings on chkdsk command and L2 cache can survive on chkdsk command. I'll report this issue to our R&D team. Thanks.
Tomal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tomal »

They need to make sure that when they test it, checkdisk will actually make some changes in the filesystem. In my case, it compacted security descriptors. See if your QA team can somehow enforce it in your test environment.
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by CrypEd »

Your PC should not be able to do chkdsk on C:\ during the runtime and should have wanted to rebooted the PC to do it at the time during boot up... before anything cache-related was started??

That should have worked as supposed.
robnitro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robnitro »

In the first post I think he meant that it was asking to do it at boot up. No way windows will allow you to do chkdsk /F on a system drive without doing it at boot time.
HOWEVER, since primocache runs as a driver, to help boot times etc, it may be loaded even at the most beginning where windows 7/vista runs chkdsk before boot.

That is why he a has a problem, because the L2 cache is what helps windows boot faster!