the older Fancy Cache

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
PeterBrazil
Level 1
Level 1

the older Fancy Cache

Post by PeterBrazil »

My Laptop is an HP envy dv7-7247cl, 17", OS is on SSD Samsung 840Pro, in the second compartment is an HDD 1TB, 7200Rpm, Hitache ( = 2 Partitions 500GB). I think the Fancy Cache is a very, very good Program, simple to use and config. After installing the Fancy Cache my Machine was very much faster. I have got only 8GB Ram but tomorrow I 'will install 16GB Ram from Corsair. Then I 'will configurating 4Gb Cache to HDD 1, 4Gb Cache to HDD 2, 2 Gb to the SSD, 1,5 Gb to Ramdisk 1 for Download temp files from my IDM Download Manager, 500 Gb to Ramdisk 2 for Windows and Browsers temp Files. So for the rest of the system left with 4 gb . This will be O.K. ? :idea:
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: the older Fancy Cache

Post by InquiringMind »

Welcome to the forums PeterBrazil,

Don't bother caching ramdisks as they are already as fast as your memory will allow (your post is unclear so apologies if I'm mistaking it on this). For caching, it is best to identify which disk you use most and cache that (presumably the SSD in your case). For the HDDs, if you only use them for storing (and not editing) media files and downloads, then there is little point to caching them at all (as long as the disks themselves are fast enough to play media files and defragmented occasionally). Note that Windows itself will cache your disks, regardless of FancyCache's settings.

For ramdisks, I'd suggest using one only (exception: if you are storing a pagefile and want to use a hybrid ramdisk, these cannot be combined so in that case, one fixed-size ramdisk for pagefile only and one hybrid ramdisk for everything else). That way, you are less likely to run out of space (which may cause programs to fail in unexpected and non-obvious ways).