PrimoCache working very well

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Bjameson
Level 6
Level 6

PrimoCache working very well

Post by Bjameson »

Hi,

It's a long time since I tried FancyCache. Just discovered PrimoCache 0.9.2. Working very well indeed.

I have installed Windows 8.1 and use Hyper-V with several VMs on a spinning disk. My old Vertex SSD is serving as a ~60 GB Level 2 cache.
The first time I start a VM it takes 5 minutes to be ready, with a lot of disk grinding. The second time, literally, only 20 seconds and with almost no disk activity.
Also, PrimoCache is perfectly stable (so far, only been testing for two days).

Now I have a question. I use a 4 GB Level 1 and a 60 GB Level 2 cache. I would like the L2 to remember as much data as possible.
Is the L1 copied to the L2, or is L1 completely volatile? If not, I think it would be better to keep L1 to a minimum to maximise the effect of L2.

I tried a 10 GB L1 and a 64 L1. Both appear to work equally well. Still, I like to understand how things work.
If you could just tell me if L1 is copied to L2 yes/no, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: PrimoCache working very well

Post by InquiringMind »

Romex's online L2 cache documentation does provide some useful details on how L2 is used, but more information on the interplay between L1 and L2 would certainly be useful.