Made my pc so slow had to deinstall

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
smile
Level 1
Level 1

Made my pc so slow had to deinstall

Post by smile »

Hello, I was using eboostr on my old PC, worked fine but decided to try PrimoCache.

However after installing and specifying the 64MB ram, 7000MB SWAP on USB external storage (same I used for eboostr). The PC became slower then without any software that should improve it !

My PC is old, it's mostly used for internet browsing,

CPU 1.7Ghz P4
MB ASUS P4T
RAM 1GB RAMBUS
Promise ATA133 controller with 1 120GB HDD
Another 120GB HDD is on MB Secondary

I plan to add CF card 60MB write speed 8GB, to store windows page file (1GB) and store the eboostr cache.
smile
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Made my pc so slow had to deinstall

Post by smile »

Has this been implemented, maybe it's the cause of slow performance?
I would suggest a special L2 cache mode for USB flash drives that only stores requests for individual blocks, and allows large sequential requests to go direct to the drive.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2169
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Made my pc so slow had to deinstall

Post by InquiringMind »

I don't think PrimoCache (in its current form) could offer much benefit in your case - your system has little (if any) spare RAM for a L1 cache and USB flash drives can be slow enough to be only worth using for the smallest files (your second post probably hits it on the nail here).

Adding more RAM (if you can still get reasonably-priced Rambus modules) to the point where you could run with a decent L1 cache (3GB+ probably) would be the easiest way to boost performance. Given the age of your system though, motherboard replacement (effectively a new PC) would be the most effective.