Defer-Timeout... whats the matter?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Defer-Timeout... whats the matter?

Post by Incriminated »

Hey Guys,

I started this thread because there are lots of questions regarding the defer-write timeout.
Some people do not know, whats the difference between short and long defer-write timeout.

Because stuff around this matter is so hard to discribe in words I'm going to start with some synthetical benchmarks.
I know that these kind of synthetical benchmarks are not comparable to real-world benchmarks, but they are good enough to make something very clear.

What we see here is the same cache drive with only the "Defer-Write Timeout" beeing modified.
1. Shows the result maintaining a 10 seconds defer-write-timeout.
2. Shows the result maintaining a 60 seconds defer-write-timeout.
3. Shows the result maintaining a 360 seconds defer-write-timeout.

You might notice at first that the RAM itself (AM3+) performs nearly the same. To verify that this minor abbreviations are not dis-/advantages, i ran all these benchmarks at least twice giving me an abbreviation of max. 60 MiB/s per value... so that differences are only result of measuring inaccuracy.

Now lets get serious and take a look at the "Normal Writes". These are writes that actually hit the disk.
1. Shows the 10-seconds defer-write-timeout writing 1,76 GiB to disk.
2. Shows the 60-seconds defer-write-timeout writing 901,6 MiB to disk.
3. Shows the 360-seconds defer-write timeout writing 2,1 MiB (was 0 on bench stop, but pressed "Print"-Key)

You might think, that this isn't telling us that much, because in this synthetic benchmarks - files beeing deleted after and that way PrimoCache takes tremendous advantage of TRIM those blocks, but just try to imagine that this benchmark was your actual heavy R/W-real-world application and that this "amounts" are not TRIMable.

Now lets imagine your want to do your next workload right after, which contains 6 GiB of writes.

1. After work with 10-seconds defer-write-timeout, 1,76 GiB total have already been flushed to disk, cache is ready to free up space for next workload and no write wait's for flush.
2. After work with 60-seconds defer-write-timeout, 901,6 MiB total have already been flushed to disk, cache is ready to free up space for next workload, but ~860 MiB still waiting for flush.
3. After work with 360-seconds defer-write-timeout, no defered writes of the last task have been flushed to disk and 1,76 GiB waiting for flush.

The Result:
1. Cache frees all R/W-data instant and pulls the hole 6 GiB at full-RAM-speed into cache.
2. Cache frees all already flushed data instant and starts pulling the 6 GiB at full-RAM-speed, but when it's full, after ~5,1 GiB it has to flush the remaining ~860 MiB data to disk first, what knocks you down to disk-speed for the last 20%.
3. Cache frees all already flushed data instant and starts pulling the 6 GiB at full-RAM-speed, but when it's full, after ~4,24 GiB it has to flush the remaining 1,76 GiB data to disk first, what knocks you down to disk-speed for the last 40%.

Conclusion:
A) longer defer-write timeout results in more TRIM and less access what increases your SSD and HDD lifetime, while it seems not to increase performance at all.
B) longer defer-write timeout results in less data-security, you loose all changes after the last flush on crash.
C) shorter defer-write timeout results in low risk in getting disk-bottlenecked.

So it's absolutely ridiculous to believe that extreme timeouts like one day or one week or one month or even a year will be of any advantage. While you getting little less sustainability over time (who plans to uses actual SDD/HDD over decades) on the other hand it's ultimativly destroys the best advantage of a cache-software: highest possible R/W-speed.

My request put "Timeout" into the QuickInfo and tell the people that extreme timeouts are harmfull!.

Oh and my recommendation is 10 seconds... like the default.

Thanks for your attention.
Attachments
defer-timeout.jpg
defer-timeout.jpg (419.14 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Last edited by Incriminated on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Defer-Timeout... whats the matter?

Post by Incriminated »

Oops run No2 with only 30 seconds... sry.

I have another little explanation: On 1 week timeout, when you copy 6GiB using 6GiB-R/W-cache today, after your cache hits full you are limited to disk-write-speed for the rest of your week. See, when you try the same work with a different 6 GiB on the next day... it begins flushing 6GiB at disk speed to free space for the next 6GiB.... constant bottleneck!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Defer-Timeout... whats the matter?

Post by Support »

Incriminated wrote:On 1 week timeout, when you copy 6GiB using 6GiB-R/W-cache today, after your cache hits full you are limited to disk-write-speed for the rest of your week. See, when you try the same work with a different 6 GiB on the next day... it begins flushing 6GiB at disk speed to free space for the next 6GiB.... constant bottleneck!
Thanks, Incriminated. We're also developing another schedule mechanism to avoid such issue. Thus users won't feel slow even when cache is full of deferred write-data.