Windows 8.1 upgrade

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Cachemaniak
Level 2
Level 2

Windows 8.1 upgrade

Post by Cachemaniak »

Just upgraded Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 with Primo Cache 0.9.1 working good.
After the upgrade Primo Cache says the trial period expired and my cache is offline.
I activated the cache with the new trial key, but my persistent cache is gone.
Could the Primo Cache work with Windows 8.1 upgrade without the need for reactivation ?
Thanks.
Engineer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Windows 8.1 upgrade

Post by Engineer »

Same occurred on my system as well (need to reactivate and loss of persistent cache). I reinstalled Primo Cache, yet am not able to get persistent cache to function. Have not dug around (yet) to attempt to find the root issue(s) ...
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

We have noticed this issue on Windows 8.1 upgrade. The trial period will expire because some trial license information is gone during Windows upgrade. Of course, in such scenario, existing L2 cache content will be invalid because PrimoCache stops working, otherwise the cache content might be out of sync.
Engineer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Engineer »

I was a little confused by your response "Support". I did reinstall the license file, and PrimoCache settings all appeared as they should. However, L2Storage Reads and Writes were always at 0 - even after system reboots.

HOWEVER, all is working now. What fixed my situation was to stop the cache, uninstall PrimoCache, use Windows 8.1 to reformat my SSD (L2Storage), then reinstall PrimoCache and configure as before. I may not have actually needed to uninstall PrimoCache, but it was quick and easy to do so.

It seems like the installation of Windows 8.1 upgrade "burped" my SSD L2Storage making it inaccessible to PrimoCache. The Windows 8.1 reformat brought things back to a known starting point ... Just my thought ...