[NEWS] Samsung TurboWrite SSD - Disk Cache - From TLC to SLC

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
intika
Level 9
Level 9

[NEWS] Samsung TurboWrite SSD - Disk Cache - From TLC to SLC

Post by intika »

Hello

Drive Disk technologies are still be evolved...
Samsung came out with their new SSD "840 Evo Series", less efficient then older version "840 Pro Series" but cheaper.
As i am looking to upgrade to SSD, i just discovered what samsung bring us.

PrePost :
SLC : Single Level Cell - memory stores one single bits in each cell
MLC : Single Level Cell - memory stores two bits in each cell
TLC : Three Level Cell - memory stores 3 bits in each cell
Info : Best one is SLC, designed to servers, get the longer life and best speed.

TurboWrite :
Any way with the last evo series from samsung they use TLC, but to gain speed they developped the turbowrite technology, it reserve an amount of space from the ssd to be used as SLC, for the purpose of caching the same as primocache but in the disk it self.
as it's converting cell from TLC to SLC the cache space is divided by 3 if you set TurboWrite cache to 30 GB, you will have 10 GB cache...
The technology seems to work fine.
When i read that i directly think to primocache, they are some how stealing your technology lol, you have to come with last version ^^
You could also may be include suck technology for SSD would be cool (but care to license)...

that new samsung feature look really cool.
but personally will not go for a TLC SSD.

Cheers
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [NEWS] Samsung TurboWrite SSD - Disk Cache - From TLC to

Post by intika »

Rapid Mode :
Samsung has also added a Rapid Mode, enabled in the Samsung Magician software, that uses the host system’s DRAM and CPU for caching purposes. It caches frequently used files in system memory and can dramatically increase read and write speeds. Rapid Mode can be switched on and off in the software, and requires just 50MB of RAM and an 840 Evo SSD to be activated. Samsung says eventually it’ll bring the caching technology to its 840 Pro drive, but for now it’s exclusive to the Evo.

They are really doing primocache trick... i hope that will still need primo cache if i go for that drive, mean that primo cache will still evolving the speed with all that caching technologies.
Hummmmmmm you take too much time for dev