PrimoCache and other RAMDisk software

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
hix3r
Level 1
Level 1

PrimoCache and other RAMDisk software

Post by hix3r »

Hi!

I am currently trying to configure PrimoCache 0.9.1 to match my last settings, however I seem to have hit an obstacle.
My FancyCache was configured to use an L2 cache which was on a RAM disk mounted at every boot. It was working flawlessly.
However in this new version if I want to make a new L2 cache the mounted RAM disks do not show up in the list of availabe drives, only my physical hard disks show up there.
USB drives show up without problems too.

I should add I am using SoftPerfect's RAMDisk software. Digging around their forums I found these information pieces:

"Q: SoftPerfect RamDisk is not visible in 'Disk Management' (diskmgmt.msc). Both Win XP and WIn 7, x64. Is it possible to show RamDisk in 'Disk Management'?
A: No, our RAM disk is not available in Disk Management by design. It's just how the RAM disk is implemented. Our RAM disk does not emulate a physical disk, and that is why it is not visible. The RAM disk is basically a volume, without an underlying disk and there are no partitions.
All applications that use standard file I/O should work without a hitch, except those designed to work specifically with physical disks, that is mainly disk test utilities."

Is this a problem that will be persisting with Primocache then? Was there a change regarding this, because as I said FancyCache could see the drive and use it flawlessly. Is it possible see all drives againg in PrimoCache and not just physical ones?

Thank you!
stenrulz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: PrimoCache and other RAMDisk software

Post by stenrulz »

Why would you use SoftPerfect's RAMDisk when PrimoCache can cache to RAM already?
cnlibo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cnlibo »

Why not use PrimoRamdisk, perfectly matching PrimoCache?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

I'd agree with others here and would recommend ditching SoftPerfect's software. It cannot use memory outside the 4GB range available on a 32-bit system so really has little point (it is more likely to reduce performance, by lowering the memory available for other programs and Windows' file caching). Primo Ramdisk can use memory outside the 4GB limit (referred to as "invisible memory" and not available to other programs on 32-bit systems) so can be of benefit to 32-bit Windows users.
Even then, you shouldn't configure PrimoCache or FancyCache to use a Ramdisk since it will just slow it down compared to using RAM directly. Check for yourself using a simple disk benchmarking tool like Crystal Diskmark.