Optimal L2 Cache for Lightroom Configuration

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
wmlspeedup
Level 1
Level 1

Optimal L2 Cache for Lightroom Configuration

Post by wmlspeedup »

I have read through many of the documents and forum posts but I still have some questions about my usage goals.

I bought primocache to speed up a very large (3 million photo) lightroom database. I setup l1 cache on the database and previews drive. That seems to work well.

My question is about speeding up access to my raw image files (residing on a 16tb HDD with a L2 Cache to SSD). My main concern is that primo cache will not automatically L2 cache the most recent photos we are working on (after a couple of weeks we have about a 50% hit rate). We for example would import 5000 photos from memory cards. (this is when I would HOPE the files were cached) We then normally go through the photos 1 or 2 times while editing. Then we are typically done a few days later with the raw files. They might only be read 2-4 times in total.

My usage scenario does not involve re-accessing files over and over like a game for example.
1. Is there any way I can force PrimoCache to l2 cache the most recent files written?
2. If I start reading files sequentially (photo1 photo2 photo3) will it start automatically caching the rest of the photos in a folder.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Optimal L2 Cache for Lightroom Configuration

Post by Support »

wmlspeedup wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:04 pm 1. Is there any way I can force PrimoCache to l2 cache the most recent files written?
By default, L2 cache is set to cache Read-data only. However, you can change the cache space to "Read-Write Shared" in the L2 advanced settings. Please see https://kb.romexsoftware.com/en-us/2-pr ... ache-space
https://kb.romexsoftware.com/en-us/2-pr ... te-writing
wmlspeedup wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:04 pm 2. If I start reading files sequentially (photo1 photo2 photo3) will it start automatically caching the rest of the photos in a folder.

No. Currently PrimoCache only caches data that has been read. No predict on next files will be accessed.