Somthing toward a "sticky:" Suggestiion for a configuration discussion for various PC usage patterns

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Somthing toward a "sticky:" Suggestiion for a configuration discussion for various PC usage patterns

Post by Support »

I think the L1 cache and cache overhead take too much RAM from the system. Your free RAM (~6GB now) may not be sufficient for games. I suggest 6~8GB for L1 Cache and change block size to 32~64KB to reduce the cache Overhead.
Note: Changing block size will reset the L2 cache content.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Somthing toward a "sticky:" Suggestiion for a configuration discussion for various PC usage patterns

Post by Support »

And since you enable Defer-Write for both L1 and L2, you should enable the Defer-Write option "Flush L1 Cache to L2 Cache".
barzattacks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barzattacks »

Thank you, I have made those changes. Do you think the Defer to write being set to 90 secs is good or should I go for the full 300? This is mainly for games.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

For tuning Defer-Write parameters, please see https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... write.html
A big latency can reduce writes on disks, however, it also introduces more risks of data loss and may trigger "urgent writes".
tverweij
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tverweij »

My 2 cents: Never use defer write when you don't have a battery backup - a laptop with a functional battery or a machine with an UPS, otherwise the danger is too high. Unless the data is so unimportant that it can be lost.