Caching removable drives

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
DerGeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Caching removable drives

Post by DerGeorge »

Can I use PrimoCache to cache removable USB-HDDs? What happens If I remove the drive? Will the cached parts be lost immediately or will they be available again, when the drive is reconnected? How quickly are cached parts of a missing drive freed up?

Thanks!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Caching removable drives

Post by Support »

You can cache removable drives. However, you should be careful with these drives.
If Defer-Write is enabled, you need to safely remove the drive when you want to detach the drive from the computer. Besides, in current versions, cached data is cleared immediately after you remove the drive during the Windows session.
DerGeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DerGeorge »

Thanks for the info!

I would of course disable defer-write on a removable drive. But I was hoping cached data would be kept until the space is needed, so I could keep using it when I put the drive back.
bubble
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bubble »

Support wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:01 am Besides, in current versions, cached data is cleared immediately after you remove the drive during the Windows session.
is there a way to prevent this behavior?

i only cache 1 drive, but it's shared between two PCs.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

bubble wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:09 pm is there a way to prevent this behavior?

i only cache 1 drive, but it's shared between two PCs.
Sorry, but currently no. This is because PrimoCache cannot know if the drive is modified in another PC. To ensure that cached data is consistent with source data, PrimoCache will reset the cached data if the drive is removed during Windows session.