Best settings to help preserve SSD lifespan ?

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
zapper
Level 1
Level 1

Best settings to help preserve SSD lifespan ?

Post by zapper »

Hi all :wave:

I'm using PrimoCache as L1 Cache , for Write only (defer-write),

and beside speeding-up disk write operations my main objective is to preserve the lifespan of the SSD.

Which write mode would be better for this ? at the moment I am undecided between average and buffer..
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Best settings to help preserve SSD lifespan ?

Post by Support »

For the purpose of preserving the lifespan of the SSD, average is not a good option. Native or intelligent is better.
thc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Best settings to help preserve SSD lifespan ?

Post by thc »

Extra! Extra!, Primocache considered the most wanted or 'persona non grata' by the manufacturers of ssd storage units. xd

Native mode has the highest retention possible as it only evicts for the set delay/timing, which makes it especially effective against cyclical writes.

Far from the very essence of efficiency, it is curious to see how certain software or processes even today resort to an absurd and incoherent cyclical writing, data that is copied in duplicate or even in triplicate in different routes or data that is continuously rewritten and rewritten for no apparent reason, something that stands out when for example, Windows has been using the great 'symbolic link/hardlink' for a long time. Therefore, PrimoCache is brutal against all these absurd overwrites, more than a year with my nvme and I still have 100% of lifespan, xd.