Caching Direct Hard Disk Reads (in offline mode)

FAQ, getting help, user experience about PrimoCache
spinhdd
Level 1
Level 1

Caching Direct Hard Disk Reads (in offline mode)

Post by spinhdd »

Hello, I've just upgraded to Win10 to find out that Win10 loves to wake up my offline storage drive for reasons unknown to me yet. I have tried many ways including setting it to offline mode, disabling updates and then sleeping it but it tends to wake up sooner or later.

I tried this software creating a 1GB level 1 cache and 20GB level 2 cache and it's the same

Is it possible to cache the requests from the OS to prevent spinning up an offline read-only drive? When I set the drive to offline, Primocache shows the status as Disabled as the hard drive has no letter. Yet when I, (for example), add a new Bluetooth Device, Win10 is guaranteed to wake up the storage drive to search for drivers (and it's in offline mode).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Caching Direct Hard Disk Reads (in offline mode)

Post by Support »

Usually when a disk is set to offline mode, Windows won't wake up the storage drive. Perhaps you may check Windows Event Viewer to see if there are events related to wake up. Or you may check AHCI Link Power Management and set the value to DIPM or lowest. See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/729 ... ndows.html