Level 1
Level 1

new with Romex

Post by MRBIQ »

Hello everyone here in fact this is my first post here i am want ask somethings

i have server dell with windows server 2016 with 64G ram
with 2 x 1TB SSD on raid1 and 4 x 10 TB HDD 7.2 on Raid3

OS on SSD and data ( movies ) on HDD

so if i use PrimoCache and give it 36G to make it cache how will be the performance ?

and which is the best settings to do this ??? with photos please

so the clients access on this server from web
so first client if see the video the request come from HDD a
in the second request for same video will come from RAM because the video cached right or no ??

so what i did i made 2 tasks
1- for SSD with 8G RAM only + Block Size 16KB and Prefetch last cahe checked + start at windows boot checked
2 for HDD with 32G Ram with Level-2 size MAX and Prefetch last cahe checked + start at windows boo checked

so its ok or no ?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: new with Romex

Post by Support »

MRBIQ wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:45 pm 2 for HDD with 32G Ram with Level-2 size MAX and Prefetch last cahe checked + start at windows boo checked
So a part of the SSD raid is used as level-2 cache, right? How much SSD space is assigned as level-2 cache?
Generally speaking, L1+L2 cache works for speeding up HDDs. However, the performance is really depends on the cache size and hot-data size. As you might have known, the cache works by storing the data that were read and providing them on the next read requests. If the amount of daily hot-data is big while cache space is small, old saved cache contents might be replaced very often, causing bad cache effects and efficiency.
Shaun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shaun »

Sorry, bud. I am on;y familiar with home PCs, not servers. But...(assuming that its really a server)

Give 0mb to the boot drive! Shrink that volume and give the rest to PrimoCache L2!

Then give everything to your data drive. L1 and L2.

Again, I'm not a sysop. So take my words with many grains of salt.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

I'd suggest the exact opposite, give everything to the OS! If the HDD has movies only then there is little point in delivering content any faster than the maximum required playback speed, which would be a maximum of 80MB/s for H.264 Level 6.1 (4K/8K UHD), which your RAID setup should be able to handle in its sleep.

If this content is being shared online though, your server bandwidth and user numbers (plus their average bandwidth) become more important. Unless your Internet bandwidth is higher than your RAID throughput (which should be in the region of 200-300MB/s) then it's unlikely that PrimoCache could help much particularly since Windows does its own file caching. If however there are films that are especially popular, copying them to SSD (or RAMdisk) could improve performance by avoiding the seek time delay of HDDs.