[2021-01-30] PrimoCache 4.1.0 released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

[2021-01-30] PrimoCache 4.1.0 released!

Post by Support »

Greetings everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of PrimoCache 4.1.0. This version supports to cache 4K native (4Kn) drives, which also has some fixes. The full list of changes is available in the changelog page. The packages can be downloaded from our downloads page.

The development team thanks everyone who gave us bug reports, suggestions or feedback!
If you have any questions or comments, we'll be happy to address them here.

- The Romex Software Team
dtsiapas
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [2021-01-30] PrimoCache 4.1.0 released!

Post by dtsiapas »

The update installed smoothly, thank you!
Do we have any more insight concerning refs and storage spaces?
It seems to work properly with those but I wonder if there anything we should be aware of.
I haven't checked the Data integrity scanner's behavior yet as I don't want to trigger a scan at this time.
Thank you!
dhstsw
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dhstsw »

HI,
I have a "special" cache profile where all the caching is done in L1 (for defer write purpose) and there is *no* L2 cache associated (it's for C drive, wich is already a fast NVME drive).
If i go in the defer write settings, of course, the "Flush L1 Cache to L2 Cache" is unchecked.
BUT i can check it (meaning, the lack of an associated L2 cache doesn't forbid me to enable [on the GUI at least] the feature.
So, if i do, what happens?
Nothing, can i trigger some bug, or one of the caches are being used (the latter would be my fav scenario)?

thanx.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

dtsiapas wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm Do we have any more insight concerning refs and storage spaces?
After long-term testing, we finally reproduced the problem on ReFS in previous versions of PrimoCache. Now we are testing/checking if the problem still exists in v4.1.0. Thanks.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

dhstsw wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:27 pm BUT i can check it (meaning, the lack of an associated L2 cache doesn't forbid me to enable [on the GUI at least] the feature.
So, if i do, what happens?
Nothing will happen. PrimoCache will automatically ignore this setting if no L2 is set.
Yozzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Yozzer »

It has been a long while since I logged in, and just wanted to say thank you for what is an amazing product, that just gets better and better. It has never been off my PC since beta, and I have never had a major bug, even in the early days of beta. I did once forget to reinstall it after a new build, and wondered what was the matter :0)
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

I had previously reported BSOD upon trying to install 4.0.1 into Vista 32. I am glad to say that this build 4.1.0 installed perfectly.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

RobF99 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:22 pm I had previously reported BSOD upon trying to install 4.0.1 into Vista 32. I am glad to say that this build 4.1.0 installed perfectly.
Thank you very much for your confirmation!
RobF99
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RobF99 »

For those wondering why is someone still using Vista 32?? It is a highly underrated operating system. It has been running on an original install on a system in our small office as email server and database server switched on 24/7 for 17 years. The original hard drive died 6 months ago and it restored from a system image to a new drive without any issues.

The important point here is to highlight the 100% reliability of PrimoCache. That system has been running PrimoCache for about 6 or 7 years (switched on 24/7) and not a single corruption of data with PrimoCache and that is with defer write turned on.
BrightSilence
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrightSilence »

The previous changelog (4.0.1) contained the following line.
New: Verify level-2 cache data on the next boot after an ungraceful shutdown, instead of simply cleaning all level-2 cache data.
Unfortunately I still see L2 being wiped after ungraceful shutdown. Do additional conditions apply?
I use an nvme SSD to accelerate an iSCSI drive, which may complicate things. That said, this is the only system that uses this iSCSI drive and there is no way data can have changed on the target drive. Since I use a relatively large L2 cache, it now rarely gets the chance to fill up due to regular wipes. This is really cutting into how useful the L2 cache is for my scenario. Is there more I can do on my end to ensure L2 isn't wiped? (other than preventing ungraceful shut downs, which I already limit as much as possible... but you know how PC's are) Are there settings that influence this behavior? Is there any place where I can read more about how the data verification after ungraceful shutdown works? How can I see that this verification is taking place?

It might be nice to have an option to never wipe the L2 cache and just have PrimoCache assume no data has changed on the target drive. Of course with the appropriate warnings to prevent people from using it with removable drives etc.