[2019-12-31] PrimoCache 3.2.0 and 4.0.0 alpha released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [2019-12-31] PrimoCache 3.2.0 and 4.0.0 alpha released!

Post by Support »

Sorry, I misunderstood.
dondolarson wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 am Any plans on adding an exclude/include functionality for which caching should be stopped when running any of the .exe processes on the excluded list?
Yes, we do have the plan. But because PrimoCache is working in the disk block level and cannot get any file information, we have to develop some tools to assist this feature. So this might not come out soon.
facelessmanchs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by facelessmanchs »

Is there a release schedule for or any information on newer alpha/beta versions for the 4.0.0 software? I've been looking forward to the server edition due to the support of CSV, but I obviously do not want to put pre-release software on production systems. This thread is nearly 10 months old, so I was hoping to get some idea for when we can expect a newer build. Thanks for the fantastic software!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@facelessmanchs, thank you for your attention. We will have a new build in November or December.
cyr0nk0r
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cyr0nk0r »

Support wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:05 am @facelessmanchs, thank you for your attention. We will have a new build in November or December.
what software development methodology are you using?
You released an alpha almost a year ago with no solid updates about it other than vague hints about things 'coming soon', or you're 'working on it'. You've posted no subsequent alpha releases or even any beta's that I can see in 10 months.
Would you please offer some solid and concrete updates on what users should expect?
Is 2020-12 release going to be 3.3.0 or 4.0.0? You've also not patched or done anything with the 3.2.0 release in the last 10 months either.

On top of all that you're also not very active in the support forum, and when you are your answers are short and require multiple follow up questions to get a straight answer. Is this a 2nd job for you? Is Primo Cache something you do in your spare time? If so, that's fine. Set that expectation with people.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

As I said before, PrimoCache works in Windows kernel level and handles various data which are very important to users, so stability and reliability is the first thing we have to focus on. When we develop new features, we have to test them for a long period.
we are a small company, I'm sorry that the development was delayed because of covid-19 issues. We have started to speed up our development process.
Rootax
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rootax »

I get the need of new functions, but to be honest, primocache is already doing what it is suppose to do, the devs wont release a new version just for the sake of releasing a new version I guess... 3.2.0 is working very well. It's a "simple" product, it's working, why be a d*** about new versions ?

Now, If you have open support cases without answer, yes it sucks, but I don't think it's a majority of users...
rcamarda390
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rcamarda390 »

cyr0nk0r wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:33 am
Support wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:05 am @facelessmanchs, thank you for your attention. We will have a new build in November or December.
what software development methodology are you using?
You released an alpha almost a year ago with no solid updates about it other than vague hints about things 'coming soon', or you're 'working on it'. You've posted no subsequent alpha releases or even any beta's that I can see in 10 months.
Would you please offer some solid and concrete updates on what users should expect?
Is 2020-12 release going to be 3.3.0 or 4.0.0? You've also not patched or done anything with the 3.2.0 release in the last 10 months either.

On top of all that you're also not very active in the support forum, and when you are your answers are short and require multiple follow up questions to get a straight answer. Is this a 2nd job for you? Is Primo Cache something you do in your spare time? If so, that's fine. Set that expectation with people.
I'd like more updates as well. BUT this is one piece of software you dont want bugs! Tinkering around with storage has to be 100% perfect. Looking at past posts it looks like they have a 12 month cadence. I for one am glad they get it right.
M2C
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Given that when you purchase a copy of the software currently, you get lifetime updates, I don't see why anyone would complain about a lull in updates during COVID. Sounds like some entitlement going on out there when there doesn't need to be.

It's great software that does what it advertises (better than any other in the market) and at low cost. Supporting the developers goes further than hassling them does. :)
SlyNine
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SlyNine »

I often worry about PrimoCache being undervalued and underutilized by people. I love setting it up for people because it's so flexible. Just install and forget it type of software. I hope the cash flow is enough to continue future development given we do just buy it once and get updates forever.

Also, I've never seen the support team not be engaged with the community. Their responses are generally within a day or two by my experience. I just wish I could convince more people to give it a go.
TomB
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TomB »

I agree with all of the above comment from SlyNine.

I don't see how you guys stay in business and continue to provide the support that you do, at the low prices you charge.

Thanks again for the great software.

Tom