[2017-05-27] PrimoCache 3.0.0 Beta is available now!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
sinus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [2017-05-27] PrimoCache 3.0.0 Beta is available now!

Post by sinus »

I welcome. Experimenting with various PrimoCache settings has revealed the following: assignment of any write mode, except "Native" (Advanced Defer-Write Options) in actual practice leads to filling allocated space and to the subsequent "urgent" release by forced extrusion of old data from a cache, it causes time delays. The logic of Advenced Defer-Write Option, if it is not "Native", forces to expect "Windows is idle", and release of a cache in the specified time intervals, unfortunately, does not happen. It belongs to all versions of PrimoCache.
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

I do not find this to be the case (at all) across several workstations where PrimoCache is installed (mixture of later v2 and v3 beta). In the absence of other decision criteria my preferred flush methodology is "Average" which maintains cache availability as expected without urgent releases. I suspect your workflow demands a different methodology where "Native" is the best fit.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I don't have a problem with the write cache strategy either. In fact, I just did performance testing yesterday and found Intelligent to be the best that meets my needs. Worked perfectly. Your installation or test methods might be problematic, sinus.
sinus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sinus »

Any special tasks - Home computer. Archiving dearching, graphics, conversion of video, installation of games, etc. I set 10 or 300 seconds and "Native" - all is normal - PrimoCache is flushing all deffered data into disk each time interval and additional does urgent saving data if isn't in time. But as soon as I add "Intelligent", "Idle Flush" or "Buffer", PrimoCache begins to wait when Windows becomes "idle" and contents of a cache are unloaded only "Urgent". I so believe that in Advanced Defer-Write Option saving detainees of data shall be on a condition "or" - storage time has expired or, for example, the cache was 40% filled, and there is a saving data.
sinus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sinus »

It is easy to check it - unpack big archive or transform video, and you will see result.
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

Of course - unless the L1 memory cache exceeds the size of the (huge) file being processed. Even if not flagged 'urgent' the effect is the same with data flowing to permanent storage as fast as it is being generated once the memory buffer size is exceeded.
sinus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sinus »

Davey126, yes, it is. But the cache size shall not be great. The cache shall be able to be exempted from data, otherwise it is necessary to deal only with a huge cache and no with anything more. But here I talk specifically that software configuration to a condition of "Windows idle" leads to the fact that PrimoCache ceases to save data according to Latency value, that in addition leads to overflowing of a cache and to time delays.
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

@sinus - I do not doubt what you are seeing on *your* workstation/workloads. However, the various 'write modes' in PrimoCache have been in place for some time and well reviewed by many users. Any systemic defects would have been identified long ago.
sinus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sinus »

Davey126, If You have requested additional information on my problem from me, then it would be constructive discussion.
Do you work at Romex Software, or you indicate "public opinion"?
Davey126
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Davey126 »

I do not work at/for Romex Software and do not represent the company in any way.

If you are suggesting the conversation is no longer constructive then I wish you well. Keep in mind "public opinion" is not represented by a single voice. I invite others to to join the discussion if they wish to share experiences in this area.