[2014-04-16] PrimoCache 1.0.1 released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
gabrielmorrow
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [2014-04-16] PrimoCache 1.0.1 released!

Post by gabrielmorrow »

Stubi wrote:
intika wrote:

if you want to use the product for free, then just stick with old free beta, you seem disappointed because the product is no more free, this peace of software don't deserve to be free neither cracked.

Also programming drivers is very very very hard...

any way... off useless topic.
You do not have the feeling that your assumption is very insulting? For sure not otherwise you would not have written this.
hes gonna have to pay for it eventualy the trial key extension they provided ends apirl 30th from looks of it at which point ether he buys it beta or not

edit they just released a new key till june 30th it seems
Marble68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marble68 »

Hello!

I'm not a beta tester but found this while searching.

I am wondering when it will be available for purchase? Is there estimated pricing yet?

I emailed sales and got no response.

Thanks!
twu2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twu2 »

Marble68 wrote:I am wondering when it will be available for purchase? Is there estimated pricing yet?
order from here:
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... chase.html
rewben
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rewben »

good stuff. thanks a lot for this.
Marble68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marble68 »

Thank you!

Oh man, this is going to be the ultimate pairing for my laptop with that western digital X2 drive.

A 1TB laptop drive with a built in 128GB SSD becomes a 1TB drive with 128GB ssd cache.

They're selling it as "boot off the ssd"... I really hope I can make that work.

Anyone tried it?
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

intika wrote:An other thing is about technology, hard drive evolution is growing very fast with SSD in few years fancy cache will became useless when SSD will become as fast as ram, then Romex Software deserve getting something from their work before it become too late.
While SSD speeds have improved rapidly, they're still 10-20x slower than memory and will require new interfaces to catch up (even SATA Express tops out just under 2GB/s compared to 10GB/s+ RAM bandwidth). By which time, memory speeds will have improved also.

So it's a fair bet to say the differential between SSD and RAM speeds will drop, RAM is still likely to remain much faster giving PrimoCache's L1 caching a useful role. L2 (SSD) caching on the other hand may lose relevance as SSD capacities approach those of mechanical hard disks - unless some other storage technology comes along offering higher speeds than SSD.
intika wrote: ...this peace of software don't deserve to be free neither cracked.
While I agree that Romex should deserve payment for this, the current licensing system (online activation-on-install) means that customers risk losing the ability to use this product should Romex close down. In that event, a cracked version will be the only option.
Interesting and disappointing - no Regnow option (as with Primo Ramdisk) for those who can't use Paypal, and no activation-free option for those wanting to ensure PrimoCache remains working even after Romex disappears (except for volume users apparently).
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Marble68 wrote:Thank you!

Oh man, this is going to be the ultimate pairing for my laptop with that western digital X2 drive.

A 1TB laptop drive with a built in 128GB SSD becomes a 1TB drive with 128GB ssd cache.

They're selling it as "boot off the ssd"... I really hope I can make that work.

Anyone tried it?
the application is intended for that it will then work :)

i recommend you to try 2 GB ram on cache level 1
and all your SSD on level 2
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

InquiringMind wrote:
intika wrote:An other thing is about technology, hard drive evolution is growing very fast with SSD in few years fancy cache will became useless when SSD will become as fast as ram, then Romex Software deserve getting something from their work before it become too late.
While SSD speeds have improved rapidly, they're still 10-20x slower than memory and will require new interfaces to catch up (even SATA Express tops out just under 2GB/s compared to 10GB/s+ RAM bandwidth). By which time, memory speeds will have improved also.

So it's a fair bet to say the differential between SSD and RAM speeds will drop, RAM is still likely to remain much faster giving PrimoCache's L1 caching a useful role. L2 (SSD) caching on the other hand may lose relevance as SSD capacities approach those of mechanical hard disks - unless some other storage technology comes along offering higher speeds than SSD.
I agree with you but next step will be ssd at same speed as ram , it's technically possible with a ram interface like... the only break is the the consumer society.
and as it will be next step i would see Primocache going to an advanced dev state before dying, even if its already doing the most important stuff
InquiringMind wrote:
intika wrote: ...this peace of software don't deserve to be free neither cracked.
While I agree that Romex should deserve payment for this, the current licensing system (online activation-on-install) means that customers risk losing the ability to use this product should Romex close down. In that event, a cracked version will be the only option.
Interesting and disappointing - no Regnow option (as with Primo Ramdisk) for those who can't use Paypal, and no activation-free option for those wanting to ensure PrimoCache remains working even after Romex disappears (except for volume users apparently).
Online license sync is one of the best cracking protection. i think they should keep that system, plus most system are online now, for those how are offline, there is solution to activate the application offline it's just not public, romex support is very responsive i think they will help that few offline customers, plus there is no real alternative to primocahce, then the customer will somehow be without choice
intika
Level 9
Level 9

Post by intika »

Stubi wrote:
intika wrote:

if you want to use the product for free, then just stick with old free beta, you seem disappointed because the product is no more free, this peace of software don't deserve to be free neither cracked.

Also programming drivers is very very very hard...

any way... off useless topic.
You do not have the feeling that your assumption is very insulting? For sure not otherwise you would not have written this.
it's not insulting at all, and to be honest all that years i am using fancy cache, i saw no real change since 2 years (for me), then beta version are very good ! and similar to final, there is no real "WaW" new feature. the application do what it do from the beginning...

the only reason to upgrade will be
1. Want new interface
2. if you have an issue with old version
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

intika wrote:Online license sync is one of the best cracking protection. i think they should keep that system, plus most system are online now, for those how are offline, there is solution to activate the application offline...
Online activation is no more secure than any other "protection" since the code performing the check can be cracked, just as media (CD/DVD) checking code can be cracked.

The problem for legitimate users is that this method requires reactivation on hardware change (since that is considered a new computer) and means the software dies when the company closes (for whatever reason) or discontinues support (see ShamusYoung's Authorization Servers article for more details).