[2014-01-20] PrimoCache beta 0.9.8 released!

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

[2014-01-20] PrimoCache beta 0.9.8 released!

Post by Support »

We're glad that PrimoCache beta 0.9.8 is released now!

Change Log:
1. Completely change and improve the level-2 cache algorithm. PrimoCache keeps frequency of use data, and when system is idle, it stores high frequently used data to the level-2 storage.
2. Improve the cache algorithm to make better system response.
3. Add function: Command-line interface (CLI). See http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html
4. Add function: View/Edit the cache configuration.
5. Add function: Export/Import the cache configuration.
6. Add function: Automatically save & load the last configuration which is used to successfully create a cache task.
7. Add function: Add/Remove a volume to/from an existing cache.
8. Add function: Indiviually manage (pause/resume/flush...) a volume's cache state within a cache task.
9. Add function: Reset/Clear the cache content.
10. Add function: Reset the cache performance statistics.
11. Add function: Copy cache performance statistics to clipboard.
12. Support a cache configuration with level-2 cache only (level-1 cache size equals 0).
13. Add the option "MAX" for the level-2 cache size. With this option, maximum available level-2 storage space will be used for the level-2 cache.
14. Add the option "INFINITE" for the Defer-Write latency. With this option, PrimoCache don't sync deferred write-data to disk until the cache is full.
15. Improve the graphical user interface (GUI).
16. Fix bug: On Windows prior to Vista, level-2 storages cannot be recognized after computer reboots.
17. Fix bug: Possible hang while flush/stop the defer-write.
18. Fix bug: Blue screen happened when trying to remove a usb level-2 storage device if this usb is being used by a cache task.
19. Fix bug: Failed to format raw partitions to level-2 storages on windows server systems.
20. Fix bug: Possible blue screen error when level-2 cache is enabled.

Since this version, PrimoCache is divided into two editions: desktop edition (supports Windows desktop OS: xp/vista/7/8) and server edition (supports windows server systems). They can be downlowded from the following page.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... nload.html

Thanks.
EONDERDI
Level 2
Level 2

PrimoCache beta 0.9.8 -> No new temp key.

Post by EONDERDI »

The 0.9.8 version does not include a new longer valid temporary key.
-> Using the extended trial key file from september 17 last year makes that today, 2014, january 20 I have 9 days left.
Regards,
Bert
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [2014-01-20] PrimoCache beta 0.9.8 released!

Post by Support »

The version 0.9.8 will update the existing trial license for a new 90-day trial after you install. If you previously install an old trial key file, it will show the trial info of the old trial key file. But the trial day will be automatically updated after the trial key file expired.
manus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by manus »

After upgraded to 0.98 Server, the GUI say that the key is expired and I can't use the file key because "This key file is not intended for the current program edition!".
idefix44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by idefix44 »

Thx to the devs team for this update.
I'll install it without delay.
AbsoluteJoe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AbsoluteJoe »

:D
So far the 0.9.8 working well on my Win 7 pro x64 and Win 8.1 pro x64 machines.
Added features and improvments are fantastic.
No other caching product lets its customers control its features so well.
Hands down beats other products that I've tried for hybrid SSD caching, which still tend to have too many gotchas, flaws, and hide most of what they do under the covers. :twisted:

The PrimoCache designers, developers, and support team get platinum stars from this 65 year old retired software designer. :geek:
The time spent in beta shows a real commitment to producing a quality product which outshines all the rest.

While I'm sorry to hear that some folks are having problems with the 0.9.8 update, this is still a free beta program which is doing what it is supposed to do - find any bugs or other issues so they get fixed and make improvements before the GA release.
piquadrat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by piquadrat »

L2 caching seems to be broken in this version. Hit Ratio always 0. No speed enhancement.

If L2 caching is enabled without L1 the sequential write to the cached partition is crippled. I've got around 90MB/s write while caching drive is capable of 300 MB/s and cached RAID-5 array writing sequentially at about 400 MB/s. So something is active (speed change) but no performance advantage because as HitRatio =0 all is being read from the slow volume anyway.

If someone could check how l2 works on Win7 64-bit in 0.9.8 I would really appreciate any feedback.
wavetrex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wavetrex »

support wrote:The version 0.9.8 will update the existing trial license for a new 90-day trial after you install.
Apparently, it does not. (or not in all cases). I just upgraded from 0.9.1 to the new 0.9.8 and it says: Trial (6 days left)

The new version seems kinda cool tho, some new buttons to play with :D

Any rough estimate on when this software will be released ? I'm almost sure I will buy a license, very useful for me as a programmer, I use a huge amount of small files and this caching does speed up things considerably.
bjoerns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bjoerns »

piquadrat wrote:L2 caching seems to be broken in this version. Hit Ratio always 0. No speed enhancement.

If L2 caching is enabled without L1 the sequential write to the cached partition is crippled. I've got around 90MB/s write while caching drive is capable of 300 MB/s and cached RAID-5 array writing sequentially at about 400 MB/s. So something is active (speed change) but no performance advantage because as HitRatio =0 all is being read from the slow volume anyway.

If someone could check how l2 works on Win7 64-bit in 0.9.8 I would really appreciate any feedback.
It's the same on Win7 64 bit. There are several bugs that make primocache unusable (but i think it WILL be a great piece of software, without that bugs)
-L2 cache seems not to be used really, if i copy 1GB from a cached drive into the same folder, L2 writes do not increase. If i copy a second time, it needs much longer to complete
-If L1 is used, but 0MB free then a copy runs with 1MB/s.
-If i modify the cache properties, sometimes the cache overhead goes up to some Petabytes
-Sometimes the GUI crashed when i modify the cache properties
-sometimes the complete driver crashes when i stop deferred writes. Win stays online, but cannot commit data to the drive and reboots become impossible
piquadrat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by piquadrat »

bjoerns wrote:
piquadrat wrote:L2 caching seems to be broken in this version. Hit Ratio always 0. No speed enhancement.

It's the same on Win7 64 bit. There are several bugs that make primocache unusable (but i think it WILL be a great piece of software, without that bugs)
-L2 cache seems not to be used really, if i copy 1GB from a cached drive into the same folder, L2 writes do not increase. If i copy a second time, it needs much longer to complete
-If L1 is used, but 0MB free then a copy runs with 1MB/s.
-If i modify the cache properties, sometimes the cache overhead goes up to some Petabytes
-Sometimes the GUI crashed when i modify the cache properties
-sometimes the complete driver crashes when i stop deferred writes. Win stays online, but cannot commit data to the drive and reboots become impossible
My theory is that the deferred L2 writing at idle (the feature introduced in this version) is broken. Maybe because it is not triggered at all. Maybe idle criteria are never being met. Maybe statistics subroutine's not working properly. Something prevents creating a copy of any useful data in the L2. The thing is: some (very small piece of) data is being written to the cache. After 3 days of working i have 23,65GB of 24,00GB free so around 350MB was cached but in that time I had around 20GB reads from the cached volume! Some application I run more then 20 times. But nevertheless I'm not able to get any nonzero HitRatio so whatever was written to L2 it is not useful.