[2013-10-28] PrimoCache beta 0.9.2

First hand news related to PrimoCache
Support
Support Team
Support Team

[2013-10-28] PrimoCache beta 0.9.2

Post by Support »

PrimoCache beta 0.9.2 has been released. This is an urgent update to fix a fatal bug in level-2 cache feature. This bug may cause system bluescreen crash when level-2 cache is enabled.

This version can be downlowded from the following page.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... nload.html
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: [2013-10-28] PrimoCache beta 0.9.2

Post by Support »

Other improvements for PrimoCache haven't been integrated into this version 0.9.2. They will come out with next version which is planned on Nov. 29th.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

Why you postponed ANY other improvements another full month?

Are you kidding or serious with that bug?

May i remind you that keep a thread up to date:
PrimoCache Known Issues List
Postby support » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 am
Last update: 2013-08-02

#001 After reboot, Level-2 storages cannot be recognized by PrimoCache in Windows XP.
Im pretty disappointed, because i found you stating this:
Re: Dumpfile for BSOD
Postby support » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:45 pm

This BSOD error is related to defer-write feature. However the root cause still be under study. I'm sorry that so far we have no idea why this bsod error happened.
That thread started 4 Weeks ago, last version was released 6 weeks ago.

Fine it's beta.
Last edited by Incriminated on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi Incriminated,
This bug was just found two days ago. Since it is fatal (but it won't cause data loss if defer-write is not enabled), we immediately made a update to fix it. We haven't put other improvements/fixes on this version because improvements/fixes that we currently made have major changes on L2 cache algorithm and schedule and we still need more time to fully test these improvements.

Thanks.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

I see forum threads people claiming exact that bug about a month ago (see my quotes, they include date) and you acknowledged these.

It seems like you are aware of this long time ago, thats why im so curios. If thats the truth (2 days), im really sry.

I think what you mean is that you found the "solution" two days ago, not the bug.... the bug is more or less known since at least 1 Month.
And heres exact my problem: You cannot tell you "found a bug" when you really mean "fixed a bug we''d found earlier but couldn't fix until now, because we didn't know before whats causing it and how to fix it".

This way the update/changelog propagation is always a "bug free"...... "no known issues".... "all fine", while in fact that's not true.

First you announce a bug.
Second you announce a fix for that.

If you really tell me that you know about the existence of this kind of bug only since two days, then either you close your eyes for your costumer's problems or you are not able to review your own forum "Report Bugs" for the words BSOD and L2.
Last edited by Incriminated on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

I'm sorry that I didn't express it clearly. Yes, we received the bug reports about a month ago, however at that time we cannot find the root cause, as well as we're not sure if the issue is common or only related to specific user environments. We just found the root cause of this issue two days ago and found that this bug is quite fatal, so we release an update soon.
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

It's good to have it fixed finally, don't get me wrong.

Well, i still have to say, that I like to see such issue-description in the "Known Issues"-Thread for the past couple of weeks.
For informational accuracy you need to do this for any issue that you are able to reproduce and cannot immediately fix, thats my suggestion.

Users go there to check "hey can i use L2 with defer-write?" "oh no issue known" and bam run into BSOD.

If the cause for my data-loss is a unknown fatal beta-bug, well sh*t can happen.
If the cause for my data-loss is misconfiguration, well fool myslf.

But if the cause for my data-loss would be misinformation about beta-bug causing fatal consequences, i would blame you, just for missing words!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hi Incriminated,

Thank you for your suggesion! Usually we update the Known Issue List when we can reproduce the reported issue. I agree with your opinion. We shall also quote the bug report for reference.
Mradr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mradr »

Incriminated wrote:It's good to have it fixed finally, don't get me wrong.

Well, i still have to say, that I like to see such issue-description in the "Known Issues"-Thread for the past couple of weeks.
For informational accuracy you need to do this for any issue that you are able to reproduce and cannot immediately fix, thats my suggestion.

Users go there to check "hey can i use L2 with defer-write?" "oh no issue known" and bam run into BSOD.

If the cause for my data-loss is a unknown fatal beta-bug, well sh*t can happen.
If the cause for my data-loss is misconfiguration, well fool myslf.

But if the cause for my data-loss would be misinformation about beta-bug causing fatal consequences, i would blame you, just for missing words!
Than again.. you should also take a look at the forum when you know full on well it's a beta atm... I mean it's in the name alone. If you want to "test" a beta program... you should be ready and have token precautions to save any data before using it. Testing 101... Lots of different OS, type of OS, and devices you have to be ready for... this all cost time and money. In the end... that's why you (AT YOUR OWN RISK) are testing the program so problems like these don't show up in the final product. Plus, you can't take every bug as a known issue... it could be a one time case because we're dealing with ram.... a device that can actually go bad and write things out wrong. Unless you are using ECC ram... you are the only one that can be blame either way xD

So please, don't be "Im pretty disappointed, because i found you stating this" as with any product that is in beta. Stuff happens and we're the test dummies that are going to have to see what happens first.

Keep up the good work support. I know you all are busy =) Please let us know a price here pretty soon tho :D I love to sell your product in our store!
Incriminated
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Incriminated »

It was about remember support to inform people about known issues that can be reproduced be the support before they run into data loss.
Your post does not say anything new or anything regarding this topic.

I did take a look at the forum.... no explicit warning, while plenty of users were claiming to have BSOD with defer-write and L2 over weeks.
I did now that a beta can be faulty and I am the only one to take measures against.

I dont really know why you answered this thread again... but i guess you just again want to act up and say something wisely, no matter if it is of no interest.