Resizable windows Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Resizable windows

Post by InquiringMind »

Jaga wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:10 am ...It's a modal child window that the OS controls, which I don't believe XP ever added the ability for resizing to...
I don't think it's that straightforward. I use WinXP SP3 also and have attached a screenshot with 4 File Open dialogs from different applications - Primo Ramdisk, BeebEM (an emulator of the 1980's BBC Micro), Audacity (an open-source sound processor) and Foxit (a PDF reader).

Aside from Primo Ramdisk, all the other File Open dialogs are resizable.

I've also attached a screenshot showing the window details (application, type, handle, etc) as reported by System Safety Monitor (security software that can control what applications are allowed to run and what actions they can take) with the entries for the above dialogs outlined. This shows they are all the same class (#32770) though a few other windows are also, which suggests that the dialogs may only differ by subtype. Another application I checked, IrfanView, uses the same class for its File Open dialogs but customises it more to include thumbnail and extra drop-down lists.
Attachments
FileOpenDiags.png
FileOpenDiags.png (124.85 KiB) Viewed 20564 times
FileOpenWinDets.png
FileOpenWinDets.png (42.39 KiB) Viewed 20564 times
Last edited by InquiringMind on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

I thought we already resolved this..?
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Fixed in version 6.4.1. Thank all.
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salopet »

Support wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 am Fixed in version 6.4.1. Thank all.
Thanks for the new version. Now the "Windows File Dialogs" can be resized in XP as well, but unfortunately, once the desired size of a window is set, it is no longer reminded when Primo Ramdisk is restarted. In other words, if the program is closed and then relaunched, the dialogs need to be resized again.

To overcome this problem, the main program window should always be left in the foreground or minimized in the tray area of the taskbar but this is not a real solution.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

salopet wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:36 amTo overcome this problem, the main program window should always be left in the foreground or minimized in the tray area of the taskbar but this is not a real solution.
You are right, it isn't a real solution. But then, asking a developer to continue to support small non-essential changes to a program when running it on an 11.5 year old Operating System isn't really realistic either. :D

I also still use Windows 7 x64, but only on a standalone file server that isn't a primary workstation. Primocache runs on it, but that PC is never "used". If I'd offer any good suggestion that is a "real solution", it would be to upgrade to Windows 10, and learn how to turn off it's telemetry , unnecessary features, and catch up with it as an OS. :thumbup:
salopet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salopet »

Jaga wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 pm You are right, it isn't a real solution. But then, asking a developer to continue to support small non-essential changes to a program when running it on an 11.5 year old Operating System isn't really realistic either. :D

I also still use Windows 7 x64, but only on a standalone file server that isn't a primary workstation. Primocache runs on it, but that PC is never "used". If I'd offer any good suggestion that is a "real solution", it would be to upgrade to Windows 10, and learn how to turn off it's telemetry , unnecessary features, and catch up with it as an OS. :thumbup:
Thanks for the advice, but as long as I can I will always look for ways to avoid the switch to Win10 :)

Having read that the topic was classified as "solved" I thought it appropriate to point out that the issue has not been completely solved.
If my request is out of order, it won't be a problem: I have been experiencing this for 4 years, so I will continue to comply ;)
xinwei
Support Team
Support Team

Post by xinwei »

File dialogs in Windows XP don't remember their size natively. We created a new feature request for your problem. But I'm afraid that this might not be implemented soon.