Ramdisk mount/unmount

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Ramdisk mount/unmount

Post by janusz521 »

Hello,

I am currently evaluating Primo Ramdisk. One of my principal expectations is having an easy option to mount and unmount as needed ramdisks dedicated to various apps. I found with time that such functionality can be achieved using Export/Load Configuration but it is not obvious at the first look and it may be discouraging for new users familiar with mount/unmount in other ramdisk solutions.I believe that to simplify the usage, it could be achieved on top of Export/Load Config by storing a config in some default location when unmout is executed and next when mount is requested a list of previously unmounted '(exported) configs could be presented. Primo Ramdisk has quite a few of unique and interesting features but it could have some more to be used more easily.

Considering buying a license I am also a bit surprised that there is no option for bundled Primo Cache/Ramdisk purchase (with some perks like licenses for more computers etc.) It would definetely encourage people to spend more :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Ramdisk mount/unmount

Post by Support »

Thank you very much for your suggestions! We will consider your suggestions.
Since you mentioned ramdisks for various apps, I assume you are using image files. If you have multiple image files which contains various apps, you may switch image files through the "Associating an image" command in the context menu by right-clicking on the ramdisk item in Primo Ramdisk main dialog.
Associate-images.png
Associate-images.png (15.05 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
janusz521
Level 5
Level 5

Post by janusz521 »

I played a bit with swapping the image. It works well and it looks that the vdf file already contains all config information without the need for a vdd configuration file. Anyway some limitations are obvious, in this way one can replace just one disk and I would like to have any arbitrary number of ramdisks present at the same time. There is also a glitch, after swapping the image the tree in the top panel still shows the data of the initial disk. However the info in the bottom panel shows correctly the current disk. One must restart the GUI app to see the correct info in the top panel.

I still think it would be useful to have an option to restore (mount) previously created and saved ramdisks from a menu without having to search for image/config files on the computer hard disk.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

janusz521 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:49 pm I still think it would be useful to have an option to restore (mount) previously created and saved ramdisks from a menu without having to search for image/config files on the computer hard disk.
This can be achieved by using a script batch file using Primo Ramdisk CLI (https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... rface.html). But I agree with you. We plan to add a feature called "profile" which is able to do this through GUI.