Command line commands control and others

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Command line commands control and others

Post by arfgh »

well, i have recently tried the Softperfect ramdisk, that now it is freeware, and works so good. Some features left from the ones that hold primo but...

but this ramdisk manager allow to controll all with command line commands, a thing that is very useful.

And also i wont get tired to request the feature that perform free the used the space on the fly, also with windows xp x64. I know that primo do that on windows 7 and 8, but why not to do the same on xp ?

thx in advance
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Command line commands control and others

Post by InquiringMind »

Arfgh,

Have you enabled Dynamic Memory Management for your ramdisk? That will reduce memory usage (and free up memory when files are deleted from the ramdisk) but it does need to be enabled specifically (presumably because it increases CPU usage).
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

but i think that on xp x64 primo doesnt free automatically the used space on the ramdisks.

IN fact the documentation it is saying:

In Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 or newer Windows OS, if a ram disk is formatted with NTFS file system, Primo Ramdisk is able to release the memory to system after the files are deleted. Now we delete this 2 GB file and wait about 30 seconds, we'll find that the available memory amount return to 4 GB.

so... :(
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Yes, the feature as described seems limited to Win 7+ (maybe because it relies on TRIM?) but it's still worth testing if you haven't already done so. However even if it doesn't work, there are other options to lower memory usage like creating a hybrid disk (first part held in RAM, rest on disk) using less RAM, a good option for temporary files where you may not be able to predict maximum usage.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

but why yes on win7 and not on xp, which is the reason ?

anyways, the main requesting, the command line control of ramdisks, a must have feature in my opinion.