Save ramdisk content at "Sleep", not only Shutdown.

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
AndreyPetrov
Level 2
Level 2

Save ramdisk content at "Sleep", not only Shutdown.

Post by AndreyPetrov »

Hi!

I'm evaluating Primo RamDisk now and want to ask - does "Save at Shutdown" function saves ramdisk data when system goes in sleep mode?

Let me explain on real situation.

Usual example - I want to use it on notebook, but I reboot notebook very rarely but also afraid to keep unsaved data on ramdisk (I want to keep FireFox profile here, for example). I can use "Timing Save" but it also have disadvantages - if I setup little time interval it will use resource of my SSD, if big - I risk to lose data. But I every day close lid of my notebook when I done my work - and it goes to sleep mode (according to Windows settings).

From my sight it'll be excellent if Primo RamDisk saves (using quick save) ramdisk data on system sleep (hibernate or hybrid sleep) as it does on "save at shutdown"

Can I setup such behaviour?

ps: try to ask this at support email - but no any answer from April,27
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Save ramdisk content at "Sleep", not only Shutdown.

Post by Support »

Well, actually we already replied your email on April. 29. Perhaps our email was filtered into spam box.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I forgot to close this thread.
AndreyPetrov wrote:does "Save at Shutdown" function saves ramdisk data when system goes in sleep mode?
This function is not supported yet. It may be implemented in future versions.

Thanks.
Laraul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Laraul »

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -questions

Regardless which mode your laptop enters, the data in the RAM DISK will be maintained.
AndreyPetrov
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AndreyPetrov »

> Regardless which mode your laptop enters, the data in the RAM DISK will be maintained.

Laraul, you don't understand. As we all know, sometimes Windows goes to "blue screen" - this happens in Windows world. In this case all content of ramdisk will be lost (modified from last save). Re-read my message - for faster work I keep on ramdisk Firefox profile, so losing this data are bad. So, I should manually (once a week?) save ramdisk data. I'm usual man and I forgot to do this regular :) So, automatic content save during closing laptop cover will be very good for this case :)

ps: sorry for my poor English.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

AndreyPetrov wrote:...As we all know, sometimes Windows goes to "blue screen" - this happens in Windows world. In this case all content of ramdisk will be lost (modified from last save). Re-read my message - for faster work I keep on ramdisk Firefox profile, so losing this data are bad. So, I should manually (once a week?) save ramdisk data...
If a timed-save image file doesn't work for you, then another workaround could be to use a file-versioning utility (which copies files whenever they are changed) to transfer the most important parts of Firefox's profile (like bookmarks and site-specific preferences, see Recovering important data from an old profile for file details) onto SSD. As long as you avoid frequently changed data (like cookies or Firefox's cache) then the overheads should be minimal.

File versioning utilites work looking at include Aphar Backup (my preference, only one which doesn't need .NET Framework), AutoVer, Yadis Backup (all free) or FileHamster (commercial).
AndreyPetrov
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AndreyPetrov »

Thank you for suggestion. But does Ramdisk have "timed-save" feature? I don't find such function, but realize it by command-line utility and windows scheduler.
But all this a "excess steps" - feature "save on lid close" can be automatic and daily. Timed save - makes unnecessary saves.

Oh.... just got idea to look at scheduler triggers - if it have "go to sleep" trigger - I can make such a task :)
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

AndreyPetrov wrote:Thank you for suggestion. But does Ramdisk have "timed-save" feature? I don't find such function...
"Timing Save" is one of the options listed in the Image File FAQ.
AndreyPetrov wrote:But all this a "excess steps" - feature "save on lid close" can be automatic and daily. Timed save - makes unnecessary saves.
File versioning would avoid that, by only "saving" (copying) when data changes.
AndreyPetrov wrote:Oh.... just got idea to look at scheduler triggers - if it have "go to sleep" trigger - I can make such a task :)
Another approach - use a macro utility like AutoHotKey to configure a keyboard shortcut to save your Ramdisk and suspend Windows. That would avoid unneeded writes and make suspending a single-step operation (if your laptop has multimedia keys or a shutdown key, you could use those) - though not automatic on lid closure.
AndreyPetrov
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AndreyPetrov »

InquiringMind wrote:
AndreyPetrov wrote:Thank you for suggestion. But does Ramdisk have "timed-save" feature? I don't find such function...
"Timing Save" is one of the options listed in the Image File FAQ.
I use "Smart image" options - and in this case "Timing save" are disabled :(