Primo doesn't really free the RAM

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primo doesn't really free the RAM

Post by Support »

@rumbah, can you upload an screen of the Primo Ramdisk main dialog which shows the ramdisk configuration?
rumbah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rumbah »

Sure:
RAMDisk.png
RAMDisk.png (103.13 KiB) Viewed 14621 times
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

@rumbah, thank you for the information!
Did you use NTFS file system each time? Dynamic Memory Release requires Windows 7 or later, and NTFS file system.
rumbah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rumbah »

Yes, it's NTFS every time and it's on WIn 10. And it can happen right after the Windows start without even using that much space on the RAM Disk (just now about 1GB files and about 20GB+ RAM used).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

It's kind of weird...Your ramdisk configuration is actually quite basic and we tested a lot with such configuration. Is there any hidden files on the ramdisk? Do you set up paging files on it?
rumbah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rumbah »

I just appears randomly and I wasn't able to reproduce it directly. And no, there are no hidden files and no page file on it.

If I have the problem I can still use the full RAM disk. So I can put stuff on it an delete it, but no memory gets freed if I delete anything and the memory usage does not grow anymore if I put stuff on it, just like you would expect it on a static RAM disk.

I suspect it has to do with the Windows shutdown/start process that nowadays doesn't really shutdown but does some kind of end session and suspend to RAM. Because the problem is sometimes there just after a system start (not fully but a couple of GB used with an empty/nearly empty disk after shutting down with a filled RAM disk).
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Could you turn off the Windows Fast Startup (you may turn it off in the Primo Ramdisk option dialog) and check if the problem will happen again?
Thanks.
rumbah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rumbah »

I just looked at the setting and noticed that it was disabled already. So I always got the error without Fast Startup.

Yesterday I had the problem again. I didn't use the RAM Disk at all and noticed that my RAM was used by 97% (just a few minutes after start). Then I reinitialized the disk and it went down to 14%.
Jaga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaga »

Does your BIOS have a separate fast startup (different from the W10 one)? Some do, and those need to be disabled too.

The next time you see high RAM usage, open the Task Manager and see what processes are using what memory in the Details tab. You may have to turn on some more columns associated with memory to see the various current and peak memory being used.

You might also want to put an exemption in if you use an Anti-Virus so it doesn't keep file handles on the RAMdrive open. And set the trash bin to empty immediately (instead of holding items).