33%

Total votes: 3

CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Suggestion] File copy batch creator

Post by CrypEd »

Here is the idea that may be achievable:

Primo RAMDIsk could provide a hand-full customizable renameable "Settings-Template-Slots" for at least the RAM-Disk-Setting of Primo RAMDIsk itself, that the user can "tune" for using them with a new "small-scale" Primo-Shell only on "images.vdf"-Files.

Example templates:
1. Name: Gaming. DIO, NTFS, no compression, no index, load only, no delay, letter R
2. Name: blabla. SCSI, FAT32, compression, indexing, load/save on shutdown, no delay, letter S
3. Name: blabla. DIO, NTFS, no compression, indexing, load/save, delay, letter T.

These are just examples, please do not answer with pros cons of the settings in the examples, i just made them up :)

Now what you do with these templates is that you right click on your *.vdf-File, move mouse over "Load with Promo-Shell" and then select the appropriate template you want to load the image using the template-settings!

This would be marvellous, reducing my average time spend in the Primo-GUI drastically, because basically I only mainly use one and same type for games only, the other 2 Ram-Disks for Programs are fixed load-only and no not need any change at all. Doing it manually causes my now in a "routine" to do the task in <10 seconds..... but still it could be <1 with those templates. :D

Now when R is already loaded with an image... this "PrimoShell" should automatically unload old image.... for that case the template could also define "volatile-yes/no" and if no, then save loaded-image to disk first before uloading it and loading a new one.

It is pretty much "like" the how Daemon Tools handles it, where you "pre-define" unloaded different devices and then simply throw in your image with one click into these predefined-devices.

This is much easier to work with!

By that ROMEX also can provide us, especially new-user, some "recommended" templates with names hinting the specific task, the settings will be useful for. . . so these templates may also be available for creating the image at first, at all.

Such "Primo-Shell" and such customizable "Device-Templates" for the VDFs could be a very very powerful tool to make Primo lot more "hand-some" to work with. Primo already features the VDD-Descriptor files.... so this idea should be pretty easy to achieve from the coding perspective. Just progrmming the "PrimoShell" to load the VDF-image bound to specific VDDs (incl drive-letter) and a programming config-page in the PrimoGUI to customize the templates-slot for the user to activate/deactivate and rename slots and specify previously exported VDDs for the slots would be enough.