TEMP automation

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
Hale
Level 2
Level 2

TEMP automation

Post by Hale »

Using your software from the moment Ramdisk got the memory deallocation feature. Marvelous! Almost like in Linux.
Almost.

But is it possible to realize a in future a Hybrid strategy based on linking to a real directory or swap?
I mean, in linux, tempfs can swap itself with a delay to keep small memory profile. Primo ramdisk can't, and therefore RAM is slowly polluted by old temp garbage.

Is it possible to completely automate %TEMP% directory linking to the Ram disk ?
I have two user licenses, one of which want to pass to my parents notebook. The problem is in that my parents can't reallocate the populated %TEMP% on their own. Simple "push-button" tool would be welcome.
Last edited by Hale on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: TEMP automation

Post by Support »

I'm sorry that I don't understand your question well. Do you mean the TEMP settings? If yes, you may see the following link.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... tools.html
Hale
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hale »

no

1)Temp settings are not automated. Inexperienced user can-not link the Ramdisk to the temp directory because it is not empty and can not be emptied.
the user need to
- kill file handlers in the %temp%
- delete temp files
- create the RAMDISK
- link the disk to the temp
- reboot.

Another way is to implement the NTFS symbolic link to the RamDisk directly in the windows system and reboot.

*!* If there would be ONE BUTTON for this, your marketing options would look much more attractive to general public.

2) In linux TEMPFS can swap old data to disk when hitting ram barrier (or when the barrier hits the TEMPFS). No windows ramdisk software can do this.
Instead of swapping it is acceptable to write the files to some folder, I don't mind. But not a direct write.
The reason - prolonging SSD life doesn't mean completely preventing any writes of temp files. Large aggregated occasional writes of temp data are acceptable.

P.S. actually, I am talking about deferred writes and caching of the TEMP dir. At this moment I don't see an option doing this.
Your FancyCache is dangerous because it caches writes not only in TEMP, but in any file, including FILETABLES and REGISTRY FILES. That is very dangerous. They should be written immediately with maximal priority.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

Hale wrote:the user need to
- kill file handlers in the %temp%
- delete temp files
- create the RAMDISK
- link the disk to the temp
- reboot.
It should be a little easier - create the ramdisk (enable the option to create a TEMP folder), use the Utilities option to change the TEMP/TMP environment variables to the Ramdisk temp folder and either reboot or logoff for those changes to take effect. Once the Ramdisk temp folder is working, the original one should be deletable.
Hale wrote:*!* If there would be ONE BUTTON for this, your marketing options would look much more attractive to general public.
A one-button reboot feature is probably not a good thing to have on a ramdisk. Anything involving a reboot should require user confirmation.
Hale wrote:2) In linux TEMPFS can swap old data to disk when hitting ram barrier (or when the barrier hits the TEMPFS). No windows ramdisk software can do this.
The hybrid ramdisk feature is quite similar, writing data to hard disk when the Ramdisk is full.
Hale wrote:Your FancyCache is dangerous because it caches writes not only in TEMP, but in any file, including FILETABLES and REGISTRY FILES. That is very dangerous. They should be written immediately with maximal priority.
FancyCache (and the current Primo Cache) work at block level so aren't generally aware of what files they are caching. However writes are always done immediately unless Defer Write is enabled. Enabling Defer Write does create a risk of data loss, but tools like ERUNT can help safeguard Registry data, by taking a backup on every system start.