Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Check these benchmarks

Post by arfgh »

I have found these benchmarks related to all the modern ramdisks that exists:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk- ... ite-speed/

Primo Ramdisk isnt at the top, but neither isnt at the bottom, in terms of speed.

The speed on 4k with 10. SoftPerfect RAM Disk 3.3.1 (Freeware), is brutal !!!!
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Re: Check these benchmarks

Post by InquiringMind »

Interesting yes, but that article is a year old. And Primo Ramdisk has a host of features that SoftPerfect lacks (able to access up to 127GB on 32-bit systems, hybrid ramdisk option, easy TEMP/TMP environment variable change and junction point creation and more image file options).
CrypEd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Check these benchmarks

Post by CrypEd »

Imho the problem actually might be, that these values in specific might be an explizit result of good cooperation between current state system-environment-algorythms (system bios and drivers) and the current state of the relative software-projects'-algorythms (virtual ram-driver evolution) and also that on the other hand some of these bad-values might be an explizit result of system-environment-algorythm-bugs... with any of these products..

So in the end, a different mainboard even with the same chipset might perform totally different with everything else the same.
Or maybe a minor system-bios- or system-driver-update on that particular system would change everyything.
Truly...maybe some of these need optimisations including Primo...

But, all this reminds me, to better do my own checks with the trials on these software on MY particular system and NOT to take these results TOO serious.
Especially when they are relatively old.

Anyway good hint... in the end Primo looks pretty good. It isn't only all about performance. Primo also provides nice features and a very good UI. :ugeek:

Even system-usage is relevant... at some timespots of these benchmark-sessions, OS 4k-read/write may have kicked, what could have altered the result significant without the pro-bencher even noticing... See, every computing components in a personal-computer-environment needs BANDWITH for communicating... what the RAM-Disks do is to focus the RAM-component for containing specific single applications that you wanna have maxed out. It's not pretty relevant if your result is now 6GB/s or 7GB/s or even 8GB/s, what counts is that you wiped out your bottleneck at max theoretical 600MB/s per drive efficiently without a hardware-raid increasing it a dozens to a hundred of times practically. You even boosted your 4K incredible, which doesn't work with RAIDs or the stripesize would ruin everything else :D... whatever it is only 100MB/s or 800MB/s... this is talking about transfering files with a size of 4-Kilobytes only. Even best SSD actually only gather ~40mb/s reads for 4K without adressing 32 same channels :D 100MB/s is incredible for standard 4K.... watch my HDD :D

It is a very good solution to speed up gaming when you consider that lots of games use too much streaming (watch MMX legacy for example)...not even to notice LOADING-time at all :D.
They often dont take advantage of RAM-capabilities.

It did not make the laggs completely dissappear...but i could reduce their duration-time from multiple seconds to few milliseconds, i guess any of these product is capable of doing so.

But i just bought Professional ;)