Primo crashes Windows 8.1

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
sorin86
Level 1
Level 1

Primo crashes Windows 8.1

Post by sorin86 »

I’m using Primo Ramdisk Standard (trial) on Windows 8.1 32-bits, 10GB of DDR2.
I created a RAM disk of 6GB (SCSI, NTFS), on which I have a page file.

Occasionally (almost daily!) Primo crashes the system.
Here is the WhoCrashed crash dump analysis:

On Tue 07-Jan-14 09:42:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010714-93812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fancyrd.sys (fancyrd+0x76AC)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0x20, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009C, 0xFFFFFFFF846B9974, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fancyrd.sys
product: Primo Ramdisk Standard Edition
company: Romex Software
description: Primo Ramdisk (Std) Controller Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: fancyrd.sys (Primo Ramdisk (Std) Controller Driver, Romex Software).
Google query: Romex Software KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

I wanted to buy your software, but now I hesitate, unless you have some solution to this problem.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Primo crashes Windows 8.1

Post by Support »

I think you have enabled the Invisible Memory feature. When you create a ramdisk by Invisible Memory and set the system page file (pagefile.sys) to this ram disk, then you must disable Windows hibernation function. And in Windows 8/8.1, you also need to disable Fast Startup option.

Regarding the invisible memory feature, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/know ... emory.html

Hope this helps.
sorin86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sorin86 »

What has that to do with anything??? The crashes have nothing to do with any startup or shutdown or hibernation. They occur during normal work. The driver fancyrd.sys seems to be badly designed.
sorin86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sorin86 »

Also, the indicate page starts on a note of incompetence. "With cheaper and cheaper memory, nowadays ".... What?? They are more and more expensive. My DDR2 cost me an arm and a leg! I saved money 6 months to buy 8GB.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

sorin86 wrote:What has that to do with anything???...
Are you using Invisible Memory? If so, then it shouldn't take more than a moment to follow the suggestions given. If they make no difference, try running without the pagefile on ramdisk or without invisible memory enabled (if that helps, it will at least allow you to narrow down the cause of the problem).
sorin86 wrote:Also, the indicate page starts on a note of incompetence. "With cheaper and cheaper memory, nowadays ".... What?? They are more and more expensive...
Generally memory prices are falling - see EU prices for Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600 for the last 6 months for one example.

Outdated and proprietary memory on the other hand, will become more costly as fewer manufacturers produce them. That's a minority of the market and doesn't affect the validity of Romex's statement.