Hybrid-Disk issues when writing to physical disk

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
infinity
Level 1
Level 1

Hybrid-Disk issues when writing to physical disk

Post by infinity »

Hi,

I'm testing your Primo Ramdisk in Server Edition for some days now. The most interesting features are the Dynamic Memory Management and Compact mode as well as the possibility to use a hybrid disk consiting of RAM and HDD/SSD space in a ramdisk at once.

The Problem occurs on 2 Computers (Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 and Windows 8 Pro x64):

If I set up an hybrid Ramdisk...

-direct IO and SCSI (both show same behaviour)
-5120 MB Hybrid Disk
-1024 MB Physical Memory
-4096 MB Physical Drive
-Dynamic Management
-Compact mode
-NTFS default cluster size, disabled Indexing service

...and write a e.g. 4800 MB Iso file to it, and try to mount it or let me show the checksums, then the mounting/checksum-calculation process freezes. In case of freezing, I can't delete the ISO file and it's also impossible to close the explorer window of the Ramdisk. The only way to proceed working with the computer is to do a hard power down due to pressing long the OFF-Switch, as restarting is an endless thing because windows tries to shut down the ramdisk-process or so.

This behaviour is absolutely reproducable. On one of my Computers I could manage to get mounting isos by updating Intel Rapid Storage drivers, but still checksum calculation lets the drive (and thus windows) hanging. Also it's almost never possible do get the context menu (right click on ISO) working, as this results in the same freeze as well.

All this doesn't occur if I:
-try the same with a file, which fits into physical memory (size <1024mb)
-don't use hybrid disk, but assign the whole 5120 MB to physical memory without using the physical disk

My Configuration:

PC1:
Windows 7 64bit Professional SP1
Gigabyte EX38 DS5 Mainboard
Intel Core 2 Duo e6600
2*2 GB Memory DDR2
120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 Extended SSD

PC2:
Thinkpad W500
Windows 8 64bit Professional
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
2*4 GB DDR3 Memory (memtest proved)
240 GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS

*EDIT

How did I notice this problem?
- Well: I have my temp files and BrowserCache mapped to the Ramdisk and after some hours of working and surfing besides, my browser freezed and there was nothing I could do to end its process (Chrome as well as Firefox). At first I thought it is a bug of chrome, then I switched to firefox and had the same issue again.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hybrid-Disk issues when writing to physical disk

Post by Support »

Hi infinity,

Many thanks for your feedback!

It seems that the issue is caused by Hybrid-disk. Some deadlocks happened on the file access. We'll check this issue.
skuykend
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hybrid-Disk issues when writing to physical disk

Post by skuykend »

I have the same problem and reported it by email in December. Just got the same we'll check it reply.

>I have a 16GB Windows 7 system and have encountered an apperant bug with hybrid ramdisks.
>I've set up a 60GB hybrid ram disk with 10GB ram and the rest stored on a regular hard drive.
>I then copy a file larger than the 10GB (don't know if this maters) ~17GB to the hybrid. The copy goes fine.
>When I try to copy the file back to the hard drive (same drive diskfile is on) the copy freezes around the point where it would go to disk.
>Any process using those files seems to lock up and I have to do a hard reset.
>If there's any more info you need.
>If you can confirm this or have a workaround please let me know.
>
>Steve Kuykendall

Steve Kuykendall

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

We'll check this issue. I am sorry that currently I don't know any workaround. You may use pure Ramdisks instead of Hybrid disks.

Please feel free to contact us whenever necessary.
Thank you.

Best Regards.
------------------