Windows 8 + Temp Files on RAMDISK Topic is solved

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
viTRifY13
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 8 + Temp Files on RAMDISK

Post by viTRifY13 »

Are there any known issues with putting the System Temp files on the RAMDISK? I've had multiple BSOD's with Direct I/O and SCSI configurations of my Ramdisk only when my temp files were located there. I even removed the uac prompt for the primo ramdisk by going local security policy -> local policies -> security options -> User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for admin... to "elevate without prompting". My logic was that windows was preventing the program from completing it's data dump to C: before shutting down but that didn't work.

I'm running windows 8 x64 pro with media center. My rig is an Asus P9X79 Deluxe with 64 gb ram intel 3930k processor. I have an SSD on my C: drive and a raid 8 controller (promise ex8350) attached to 6 drives.

The BSOD's all indicate either BAD_POOL_CALLER or DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL with ntoskrnl.exe being the common culprit.

I've attached one of my 7 minidump files from when I had the temp folder on the RAMDISK.

I've also attached the settings for the disk

It appears I cannot upload files with extension vdd or dmp...
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Windows 8 + Temp Files on RAMDISK

Post by Support »

Hi viTRifY13,

Thank you for your feedback!

Could you send the ramdisk settings (.vdd file) and dump file to [email protected]? Thanks.
viTRifY13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by viTRifY13 »

I would like to give an update to my original problem. It turns out that due to having 64 gb's of ram, and having 1 stick of ram being bad, that the ramdisk was mapping to the one bad ram module. It took a lot of memtest86+ runs to determine which of the 8 sticks were bad, but once it was removed from the system, I have had great success with ramdisk. No BSOD's and I am able to move my temp folders back onto the ramdisk.

If anyone else has issues with BSOD's from moving the temp folder to your ramdisk, I would suggest thoroughly testing your memory with memtest86+ to determine if your memory has failed.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Hello viTRifY13,

I'm glad that you have found the cause and thank you very much for your information!