Suggests for Primo 5.7

Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Suggests for Primo 5.7

Post by arfgh »

I want to say some suggests that i think could be useful for the Primo Ramdisk 5.7

- Stop process 'explorer.exe' and reload it once the ramdisk 'reinitalize disk' features has been used. (explanation down)
- Free automatically the ramdisk used space when 'Dynamic Memory Management' is enable and we delete files, using XP X64 SP2.
- Fix the Event ID 1 Source SR that happends at least using XP X64 Sp2.

The first feature is important in my opinion. Because if we reinitialize a ramdisk where 'explorer.exe' has some file handle, the result after the reinitialization could be that we cant open explorer windows or some error may appears. This can be fixed stopping the process 'explorer.exe' and reloading it again. I have thought that if Primo Ramdisk contains some setting as for example 'Reload explorer.exe after reinitialization', will be fine to bypass this problem.

what you think about all this ?

Greetings
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Suggests for Primo 5.7

Post by Support »

arfgh wrote:Because if we reinitialize a ramdisk where 'explorer.exe' has some file handle, the result after the reinitialization could be that we cant open explorer windows or some error may appears. This can be fixed stopping the process 'explorer.exe' and reloading it again.
Thank you, arfgh.
Did you encounter the error that cannot open the explorer windows? Usually explorer only reports the error that some files do not exist.

I don't think this is a native solution because some appliations other than explorer may also use the files on the ramdisk. Actually we try to lock and dismount the ramdisk before we do reinitialize it. If there are files being used by other application, we will warn users.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

imagine that we have the system temp folder into a ramdisk.
Then when the ramdisk get full, we reinitialize it.

Then, at least with XP X64 Sp2, we cant open explorer windows. They want to be opened but then dissapear.
An sometimes an error from 'unknown' come, and in this case explorer reloads itself.
I am sure that this happends because explorer.exe has some file handle opened into TEMP.

Then imagine this setting in primo, close explorer.exe and reopen it, as a setting. Could be useful.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Thanks. We'll check this error case.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

New suggestion. Show the ramdisk space also in GBytes.
also the abilitity to resize on the fly the ramdisk space. Could be useful when we have installed a program in a ramdisk, and some space left unused.
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

arfgh wrote:the abilitity to resize on the fly the ramdisk space. Could be useful when we have installed a program in a ramdisk, and some space left unused.
Thanks, but the ramdisk size cannot be adjusted on the fly. I think you may use the feature of dynamic memory management instead when creating a ramdisk.
arfgh
Level 7
Level 7

Post by arfgh »

and another suggest for the next version:

the ability to show the Volume label name in the Primo interface, to allow us a fast identify.

disk | volumes | Name | etc
stardust
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stardust »

Suggestion for the next release:

It is to make Real-time Save Feature enable.

Already anounced that Professional/Ultimate/Server Edition have
Real-time Save Feature for Image File.
But now, it is not enabled and still grayed.

Edition comparison page shows that this feature is supported.