Report bugs or suggestions around Primo Ramdisk
Nebbich
Level 1
Level 1

I would buy it IF

Post by Nebbich »

Hello!

First: Thanks for Reading and sorry for my poor English :oops:

I testing the "Primo Ramdisk Ultimate Edition" (i use 64GB of ram and need 32GB+ drives thats why Ultimate) for about 10 Days now and it has some good features and the performance is pretty good to equal and sometimes superior, compared to other RAMdisk solutions, so this is not a problem. But i don't think i gonna buy it yet even if its just ~70$ for 2 PCs (would be perfect in my case) cause i miss some features (i would say imported features) that should be a "must have" for a RAMdisk software. And here they are:

- Config in the image: Every single time i create a RAMdisk from the VDF image i need to change some settings from the default to my config. In an example case that are the following: Drive Type, Drive Letter and Dynamic memory management. Why isn't it possible to save the settings in the image file? If i create the Ramdisk from an image, of course i want the same settings, if i would like to change it can use your "View/Edit the disk settings" button.

- Quick Mount: the image files are *.vdf, why isn't it possible to link it to the Primo Software? Like: Double click the VDF and its mounted. (i mean, of course thats not possible cause theres no settings info in the VDF)

- Quick *.VDD Mount: Its not even possible to quick load the Disk Descriptor file. I just create a Disk and saved it as a Disk Descriptor File (218 bytes). I cant open it through Windows but i can within the Primo Software. But that opens the wizzard and it Asks me through all pages, lucky i just have to click next -> next -> next -> next -> next -> Finish! But anyway, Why? I wouldn't save the Drive as a VDD if i wouldn't like the settings. If i would like to change it -> Edit! If its not possible to get the Settings into the Image file i would be nice to load an image (VDF) with the infos from a VDD.

- Timing Save + Smart Image: Most of the time i use the Smart Image which is really nice by itself but why i cant use the Timing Save? In the software itself its just two clicks to update the Image file and thats almost instant. I don't understand why i cant use this nice feature with another one (smart image).

- Command Line Support: It would be nice if i could mount an image through the Command Line, in that case i wouldn't even need the Settings info in the image cause i could freely set it up in the Command itself. Perfect!

Quick Save / Save Disk works and i didn't have any problem with it except for one issue: All my drives are encrypted and the image files lying on a drive which have to be mounted after a reboot. Now: If i check the settings it says "When to save: Save at shutdown". But that obvious don't mean "at windows shutdown" cause it don't save anything at all, instead it creates a empty disk after a reboot (cause the image file isn't available) Would be nice if the software save the image file at windows shutdown and DON'T create a drive after reboot unless i change the setting (which don't exist).

Ok thats all i have to say about it, on the other hand its a good piece of software which works but have to give more options like "don't start the wizzard" a Image Load Button for example or even better: a File Format Association for .VDDs and .VDFs and of course the ability to save the config into the image itself. Its no big deal to load an image and change the settings each time but it feels like "it could be better".

Allright, thanks for reading and have a nice day!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: I would buy it IF

Post by Support »

Hi Nebbich,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Our next version will support command line interface (CLI), and support to quickly switch the images and rebuild the disk. I think these new functions will improve the user experience. It is planned to be released in this week.
Nebbich wrote:Quick *.VDD Mount:
Well, in the future version, we'll provide a new setting UI in addition to current wizard. It will contain all settings in one page, so you can just review it and click next only once.
Nebbich wrote: If i check the settings it says "When to save: Save at shutdown". But that obvious don't mean "at windows shutdown" cause it don't save anything at all,

It actually means "at Windows shutdown". The problem is that the prgoram cannot find the image file as the drive where the image file locates does not connect to the computer after reboot.
Nebbich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nebbich »

Hi "Support"

well, that was a quick response. Thanks for answering me. :D

I really like the news you got about the next versions and the CLI you want to provide but if you say: "quickly switch the images" does that also mean "create" a drive through CLI? "Switch" sounds like "i have to create one first with the software" to be able to switch with the CLI. If i cant create a disk with the CLI (new, VDD or VDF), any intention to implement that later?

The new settings UI sounds interesting for the create process of a new drive. Do you think you could add (in far future version maybe) a switch in the Options screen that make it possible to "skip" the Wizard / Settings UI if you load a VDD or Image? If i need, lets say, a 40GB ram drive (without image file) regularly then i create it and save the drive as a VDD. Why would i need to check the settings? Sure, its not a big deal to review it but its a nice to have feature anyway.

About the "at windows shutdown". You say that the program cannot find the image file. But how can that be? I create the Disk from an image file, i use the drive and shutdown. Yes, after the reboot, the drive is gone. But the problem is that the software don't save the file before Windows is shutting down. Maybe the Hard drive gets dismounted before the software can save the file? Hmm, i need to test it with the system drive again.

Its good to see that Romex still working on their products and try to make it better.

Ok, thanks for reading again and sorry for my English again :)

Bye bye and have a nice day!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Nebbich wrote:I really like the news you got about the next versions and the CLI you want to provide but if you say: "quickly switch the images" does that also mean "create" a drive through CLI? "Switch" sounds like "i have to create one first with the software" to be able to switch with the CLI. If i cant create a disk with the CLI (new, VDD or VDF), any intention to implement that later?
CLI supports almost all functions that implemented in the GUI.
"quickly switch the images" is another new function. :)
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Just for yor information, we have released version 5.6.0 today.

Change log: http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... gelog.html

Help on CLI: http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... rface.html
Nebbich
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nebbich »

Hello "Support"

I just tried 5.6.0, Awesome! :o The new CLI really works great. Now i can load and remove my images with one click. And if i need a 40GB Temp RamDrive as mentioned above -> one click and its done! I still playing around with all the commands you put in, very nice. Luckily you didn't forget the most important "-s" (silent) trigger :D Perfect!

Did you change the Trial period from 30 to 14 days? Or maybe its the time i had left from the previous version im not sure. Doesn't matter, im pretty sure i going to buy it anyway :) But i have one last question, maybe you could answer that one. What about updates? If i buy 5.6.0, when i need to pay again? Next major release (6.0.0) or 5.7.0? Well okay, thanks to "rxprd" almost every of my feature "wishes" from above is fulfilled and the others are meaningless now but bug fixes are always welcome. That means i need (sooner or later) a new version. What is happening in that case?

Alright, thanks for reading, sorry for my poor English (at least i understand much better than i write) and have a nice Day!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Support »

Nebbich wrote:Did you change the Trial period from 30 to 14 days? Or maybe its the time i had left from the previous version im not sure
No, we didn't change it. But the trial period is counted from the first installation of Primo Ramdisk.
Nebbich wrote:What about updates?
It's free. For more information, please see
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... chase.html

PS. here are help documents for newly added command 'Rebuild' and 'Associate'.
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... -file.html
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/prim ... -disk.html

Thank you.