Faster writing on home nas over lan Topic is solved

FAQ, getting help, user experience about Primo Ramdisk
YoloRunner
Level 1
Level 1

Faster writing on home nas over lan

Post by YoloRunner »

Hi

I have home nas with dwo harddrives as jbod (it works for me leave it that way) and i wound want to speed up writing to them over network. I have 32 gigs of ram (30g free) and 250gig ssd with Win10 on it (220g free), 4 core i5, 2.5 gig nic but can upgrade at any time.

I would want to create cache so i could write to my nas faster so i could import a file and export another in same time. Im operating on around 10-20 gig files. I tried to create write cache (with 60 second delay between storing in ram and saving on hdd) but i dont think its working for clients over network. Do i need some help or maybe Primo does not work for lan access?.

If it will work i will buy full version.
Regards!
Support
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Faster writing on home nas over lan

Post by Support »

PrimoCache only supports local drives or iSCSI drives.
tecnogaming
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tecnogaming »

It can also support RAID drives created with SoftRAID. Another cool piece of software that let's you RAID any drive without using specialized hardware. Works even better than Intel and AMD RAID on their latest motherboards.
InquiringMind
Level SS
Level SS

Post by InquiringMind »

YoloRunner wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm I would want to create cache so i could write to my nas faster so i could import a file and export another in same time. Im operating on around 10-20 gig files. I tried to create write cache (with 60 second delay between storing in ram and saving on hdd) but i dont think its working for clients over network. Do i need some help or maybe Primo does not work for lan access?.
Welcome to the forums YoloRunner,

For any NAS, the bottleneck will almost certainly be your network connection (even Gigabit Ethernet will struggle to offer more than 100MB/s and that only with Jumbo packets configured). Since hard disks can typically manage 150-200MB/s and SSDs can max out SATA3 at 500-600MB/s, improved speeds really come down to a faster network connection.

If you can provide specific details of the network setup you are using, others here may be able to provide useful advice. Running PrimoCache on the NAS (if its a Windows system) may provide a small boost (more due to reduced latency) while running it on your client should, in theory, provide a bigger boost (mostly by reducing network traffic) but with an increased risk of data loss or corruption.